BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Custom door panel: orientation & width not as defined

Johan Stinckens
Advocate
I have created a door leaf in which several slabs define parts of the door: door panel itself, glass pane, bottom rail and some beams defining glazing bars. For all the slabs -> Reference Plane = Bottom placed on the ground story.

When I use this door, elements that should protrude on the outside (bottom rail) actually do this on the inside (appers as if the door panel itself is flipped). I have created another custom door leaf in which the Reference Plane = TOP and then it shows correctly. However, creating door panels this way is more difficult. Why does this happen?

Another issue: the door panel itself = 60mm thick, subsequent elements are 15mm, 20mm and 30mm thick, resulting in a door leaf of 90mm. When placed, the overal door is 40mm thick. As can be seen on the second capture the door on the right display correctly (defined with RP = TOP) but it is way too thin.
Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Quite a big oversight in the door frame object scripting I think.
To get around it it seems you will have to pick a regular panel, set the thickness and then choose the custom panel again.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
From memory it is not so much the reference line position of the slab that is important.
It is the height of the slab above zero level.
Anything below zero will be on the outside and anything above zero will be on the inside.
So the zero storey height is the outside face of the door panel.

As for the thickness (also same for height and width), the door leaf will be adjusted to suit the settings of the door frame you use it in.
So the frame object you use it in should have parameters for the panel thickness - yours seems to be set at 40mm.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru
Overall thickness, width and height of custom door leafs are all defined by the door object itself and not the saved dimensions. These saved dimensions will be stretched till they match those that are defined in the door object hence custom door leafs saved out of the floor plan need to be modelled to each individual door size. If scripted, this stretching can be controlled and defined.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Johan Stinckens
Advocate
Hi Barry,
Hi Ling,

That is exactly what I was looking for; a setting to control the overal thickness of the door.
As I have defined all parts I do know which thickness the overall door needs to be for all components to display correctly.

Sadly however there is no setting for the "Leaf Thickness" when using a custom leaf type as opposed to using one of the 60 defined Leaf Types.

Or should this be done elsewhere?

Johan
Johan Stinckens
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Solution
Barry Kelly
Quite a big oversight in the door frame object scripting I think.
To get around it it seems you will have to pick a regular panel, set the thickness and then choose the custom panel again.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Johan Stinckens
Advocate
Barry,

In reference to what you've said about everything above Zero will be on the outside and everything below zero would be on the inside.

My first attempt at creating the panel had everything above zero: the door leaf itself — being 60mm thick — sits at 0. Additional elements where then added on top of the 60mm with their respective thickness (bottom rail = 15mm -> so at this point the door panel = 75mm total).

What I have discovered yesterday is that with some doors I need to create them bottoms-up and with other door types it needs to be bottom-down.

Johan
Johan Stinckens

Johan Stinckens
Advocate
Barry,

That did the trick! Had not thought about doing that...
Thank you very much. Big Thumbs Up!

And yes, seems to be an oversight for the custom leaf type.

Greetz….

Johan
Johan Stinckens

Barry Kelly
Barry wrote:
Anything below zero will be on the outside and anything above zero will be on the inside.

Barry.
I know this is true when making an actual door or window frame.
I assumed it would be the same for the door leaf as well.
But maybe it depends on how the door leaf is called into the frame object - but i would think it should follow the same rules.

If as in your images there seems to be no frame (just the barn style door), it may depend on how you place the door - which side of the wall reveal side is on and on which side you tell it to hang (the swing for a standard door).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru
Johan wrote:
What I have discovered yesterday is that with some doors I need to create them bottoms-up and with other door types it needs to be bottom-down.

While the documentation says that Zero is the external face with the positive direction being Inside, the "Inside" and "Outside" of a door is determined not by the reveal side but by the opening direction. This means that a door that opens inwards, will have the opposite "Inside" and "Outside" to a door that opens outwards....

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!