BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom profile (with arc) changes width from AC21 to AC22

Anonymous
Not applicable
On the left is the fill I copied from AC 21 to AC22 to create a custom profile log. It is in a section view, sitting next to the actual profile it created. The difference in width is reflected in both 2D and 3D. Minimal as it may be I did not have this issue in AC21. I've tried creating the same fill from scratch in AC22 as well using "center point and radius, circumference, tangential" and had the same problem. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thank you,

Doug
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I probably should have done this before I posted but I just measured the distance between the hotspots Archicad created for the profile and they measure exactly 5.500". It seems to be the intersection of the outermost polygons created from the arc that are off.

Doug
Based on your image, it looks like the degree of smoothing could account for the discrepancy. The one on the right is more faceted than the smoother curve on the left.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply Richard. You're right about the contour of the actual custom profile. The fill used to create it is smooth as silk. Do you know of anything that I can do to smooth the arc of the custom profile? A setting perhaps. I've searched but to no avail.

Thanks again.

Doug
Doug,
Here is a post discussing the issue. https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=186069. Apparently it's been around for awhile. You might have to recreate the arc if you want it perfectly smooth.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
For dimensioning complex profile it is best to dimension a hotspot, as those are associative dimensions and will update when you move the wall/beam. Edges / corners are static dimensions, unless there is a hotspot there.

As such, the curve segmentation might not matter that much?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys.
I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to this post but I just let it ride for a while and thought I was over it. It's only 4 thousandths of an inch right? I decided to look into it again tonight when I got home from work. With some trial and error I think I found my answer.

The circle places itself on it's horizontal center point, at it's point of tangent to the line based on the first two points you pick (I think). There is a hotspot at that point. The hotspot is transferred to the fill.

On the other hand. When the circle is trimmed to the line (see attachment) the hotspot no longer exists. I would have to say that my original profiles were created with the trimmed circle.

I'm not sure how the program interprets the 2 different scenarios but I'm going to run with it! I did this test with an 8x log and it measures 7.500" in both plan and section. All is good.

Thanks for the replies,

Doug
Barry Kelly
It is not really anything to do with the circle hotspot.
It is true a circle has hotspots top, bottom left an right.
When trimmed an arc only has start and end hotspots.
But that is not the problem.

When you trim your circle, it is not through the centre.
Being slightly off this will alter the start point of the curved fill that gets converted to line segments.
So the lines start at different point of the circle and therefore may not place a segment that coincides with the side of the arc.

This image will explain in better.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
PS
The fill in you profile may be a perfect circle, but the profile will convert all circles to segmented 'arcs' as in the image above.

And actually it is not the point that you trimmed the circle, it is the start and end points of the arc in the fill you create.
It is the same effect though, that arc is not a semi-circle.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well thanks for taking the wind out of my sails Barry!!

I'm kidding of course. Apparently I figured out the problem but with the wrong thought process in defining the solution. You're attachment and explanation represent the problem perfectly and I thank you for setting me straight!

I can't wait to replace a couple hundred fills because I didn't realize this was happening until they were inserted into the profiles!!

Thanks for the assist Barry.
Doug
Learn and get certified!