Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom profiled edges on slab-ramp "hybrids"...

kamild
Participant
Hi everyone,

So I have the following problem;

I have a building connected to another structure by slabs which are, at some part, changing into ramps and then to slabs again.
I am attaching SIDE VIEW of something similar for the general idea...
To make it even more complicated, in the top plan view, they are not straight corridors, but following a curve...

So I made this shape by solid operations with morphs (cutting part from below and from the above) out of some "very thick" slabs (attached screenshot).

I want to finish edges of those slab-ramp hybrids with additional profiles, but unfortunately, seems that it's not possible to associate them to this kind of shapes... Only flat slabs works.
I was trying with profiled wall on the "slab-ramp" edges, profiles beams, custom railings, everything failed so far, everything works only with flat, "normal" slabs ....

I would be happy to listed to some ideas which perhaps you may have?

Thank you,
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
The custom railing profile should work.
If you can't automatically associate the railing with the edge of your slab (they should associate in plan but maybe not in height because of the SEO), you can still adjust the heights of the railing nodes manually to suit the slope.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
kamild
Participant
Hi Barry,

I am attaching example of what I am trying to do. Yesterday I could not prepare it.

So as you see, on a flat slab (with "organic" shape) I can easily add custom edge using wall tool and a custom profile with magic wand tool.

How would I do this on the second attached example?
Do you think that custom railing with manual adjustments of height is the only way to go?

Thank you,
Barry Kelly
Because you have varying heights you really only have 2 choices I can think of.

Create a morph surface in the shape of the profile you want ant then 'Tube' it along the edge.
But this profile shape is not editable and neither is the path once you have placed it.

Or use a custom profile in the railing tool.
This is the best option I think as you can edit the profile and you can edit the path of the railing.
The shorter you make the spacing between the railing nodes, the smoother it will look (because it will be a series of straight segments).
Make sure the railing connections are set to 'Direct'.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Probably going back to square one here, but did you not consider using the shell tool for the path? You can assign your slab thickness, give it the required Z profile then cut the shape on plan. If you set the shell profile to the soffit you could duplicate the shell & Z profile, then make it thicker to form upstands by trimming the shell to form kerbs. This assumes you are happy with a simple kerb, if not then use Barry’s suggestions.

This may help... https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/88629/
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)