BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom sink / tap - Is it possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Is it possible to use a custom sink (or tap) in a default ArchiCAD kitchen cabinet? For example in Cab Base 1D or Cab Base 2D.

Because when I read the Reference Guide it says that:
A Dialog comes up where you can specify the type of Custom Component you want to save it to.
• The Custom Door Panel and Custom Window Panel options are self-explanatory.
• An example of a Custom DW Hardw Component would be a custom door knob.
An example of a Custom Object Component would be a custom sink type or tap type of a kitchen cabinet.
• An example of a Custom 2D Symbol Component would be a custom 2D View of a custom sink type or tap type of a kitchen cabinet.
So if I save something as a Custom Object Component (same method as custom door panels) it should appear in the Kitchen Cabinet Settings-dialog of these objects.
But unlike Custom Door Panels there's no option to choose a custom sink or tap style. All I can choose from is Style 1 to 7 or None:

So Is it possible to use custom sink types as mentioned in the Reference Guide?

thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It seems that it is not possible, even in the latest version.
Yes, you are right, if there is a Custom option then that means that Library Part is created in such a way to be able to use Custom Object Components.
But apparently those Kitchen Cabinets are not created that way.
On the other hand, the Doors of Kitchen Cabinets can have custom Door Panels.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, thanks for answering. Hopefully this will be addressed in v14.

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Avanti,

Here's how we handle it in our shop...

We make the countertops, cabinets and plumbing fixtures all independent. We use GDL objects for the cabinets, which have no countertop or plumbing elements included at all. Slabs are used for the countertops (usually), and then specific plumbing fixture GDL's are used for sinks, faucets, air switches, soap dispensers, etc which are positioned as required (we have a substantial library of manufactured products as well as several parametric stock items that are very flexible).

This allows some key advantages:

1. Independent control of all countertop conditions.

2. Great flexibility in design and arrangement of cabinetry elements, including 'non-standard' elements comprised of additional objects and / or native AC tools.

3. Complete freedom to use any sort of plumbing fixtures we like and positioning them however we like.

4. Greater control over material assignments

5. Ability to create full schedules for all the separate trades based on the individual objects. For instance, we can create a cabinet schedule, fixture schedule and countertop takeoff very quickly from the wealth of data our process allows us to embed (due to it's detail or 'granularity).

Essentially, we construct the systems exactly as you would on the jobsite.. We put in the boxes (cabinets), install the tops, then install the fixtures. They're all separate items.

We've edited the stock cabinet objects to have additional features beyond those provided by GS, such as face frames with fully parametric dimensions and a 'sink base' option for the base cabinets which creates a cabinet box with no top panel.

The stock AC objects are like Swiss Army knives... They do quite a bit, but sometimes you need a real awl, corkscrew or screwdriver to do a specific job properly and with minimum strain. We try to create a building model that is as accurate a proxy as possible to the real building, which allows specification and design representation to a very fine 'granularity'.

Hope that helps out!
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Dave wrote:
Avanti,

Here's how we handle it in our shop...

We make the countertops, cabinets and plumbing fixtures all independent. We use GDL objects for the cabinets, which have no countertop or plumbing elements included at all. Slabs are used for the countertops (usually), and then specific plumbing fixture GDL's are used for sinks, faucets, air switches, soap dispensers, etc which are positioned as required (we have a substantial library of manufactured products as well as several parametric stock items that are very flexible).
Wow....I used to do it this way before counters could be 'fused' directly with an adjacent cabinet's countertop. Maybe version 4.5 or 4.88; nearly 15 yrs ago. Given the need to show info in a fixture schedule, this method may still be the best way to go. Given the faster processing, I'll have to try it.

"Everthing Old is New"

This work procedure appears worthy of a 'Tip of the month!'

Thanks

Mark

Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------
Mac G5 Dual 2.3 Ghz, 1.5 Gb, Mac OSX.4.11, ArchiCAD 12 2782 USA Full + 11, 10, 9 & 7
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark,

Thanks for the kudos!

You're right - we're definitely 'old school'. It's counterintuitive, for sure, but personally, I don't think we lose any time doing it that way. Especially when you consider the scheduling situation.

It's impossible for a GDL object to go past a certain functionality without an excessive investment in it's creation, as well as it's final usability (parametric complexity). If one is doing production housing, a lot can be done with GS's native objects; But once you step into the 'custom' or 'full service' modality, you really need the specificity of discrete elements (what I call 'Granularity').Also, it yields absolute piece of mind, as all elements are very thought out and purposefully placed.

We started using AC at version 7, so have seen many of the quantum advances in the software (though not near as many as yourself!). As I've stated before, I think AC9 was the 'sweet spot' for the heft and breadth of the basic code. Or maybe 10 after a full bug-checking. I use AC9 to this very day. A lot of the complaints I see about AC, as well as other BIM packages, stem from a new user being overwhelmed by too many options, ways to do things, etc. Guys that have used the software since it's early iterations always have a gigantic advantage over guys who come later because they learn the program's 'culture', and it sticks with them like a generational memory.

Here's what I'd like to see... And it seems it should be possible... Is to have a 'version roll-back' option in the installation options or preferences for ANY complex software package (not just AC). This way, I could do an 'AC boot camp' in version 7 or 8.1, then 'walk' the student up the ladder has he/she becomes 'indoctrinated' with the most basic creation / editing processes. That training could be narrowed or widened depending on where I needed to take them to (9, 10, 12, etc.). Think of it like this.. You don't take a guy out for his first flight lesson in an F16... You take him in a Cessna 150.

Just an observation... Talk with ya'll soon!
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
Is this still not possible?

At least give us a disabled tap to go along the disabled basin!
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Learn and get certified!