Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

DISPLAY ORDER - whats the low-down on them?

rob2218
Enthusiast
see attached.

DISPLAY-ORDER.png
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know for sure, as I haven't researched this, but I assume that if, for example, you bring a wall in front of a slab in any plan view that wall will be in front of the slab in all plan views that have those elements visible. You can, however, change the display order of elements in elevation or section views and this does not effect the plan display order.

IF you have placed a fill over your building to indicate its outline on your Site Plan, and bring that fill to the front, you should not then have to send your walls to the back as well. This would effect the wall's display order relative to other elements you will see in different layer combo's / views.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Well you'd think if I insert a fill with a visible edge line, and bring that fill to FRONT, you'd think that any other objects would be BEHIND the fill and its edge line BUT that is NOT always the case. It seems that when I select the FILL, the program responds with "cannot bring any further to front".......yet sometimes there's STUFF in front of that fill.....dunno.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
Also, in certain views I want....no...NEED the fill to be IN THE FRONT and in other views I may need ALL WALLS to be in front, so I ask ARE DISPLAY ORDERS OF OBJECTS , WALLS, FILKS, SLABS, ETC controlled per VIEWMAP or controlled globally PLAN only in referring to here. I know on elevation and section you can bring certain objects to front but what about in different PLAN view maps?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Then maybe you should save multiple Views showing different Layer Combinations and arrange those Views on a Layout to obtain the result you want on the Layout.

By the way, some confusion about terms there...
There is a single View Map, which can contain any number of Views.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
well...I thought that would do it...but it appears that when I save the view, then place on the layout, I notice that the "display order" is not right. In one view, the "walls" should up correct, then when I go to the view that I need to fill to be on top, governing how the "view" settings are...the walls revert back to being on top. Then I set the walls back to "send to back" on that specific view. All is fine, until I got to the view where the area fills need to be "send to back" and the area fills are on top.....again....it's ver strange. it's as though the "display order" wont adhere to the viewmap settings.
Have had issues like this before. When the architect tells me "I thought you were going to make the area fills be on top, they are still reading thru? what happened?" I really don't know what to tell him. He's getting tired with the response...."I did set it that way, but don't know what happened".
laszlonagy wrote:
Then maybe you should save multiple Views showing different Layer Combinations and arrange those Views on a Layout to obtain the result you want on the Layout.

By the way, some confusion about terms there...
There is a single View Map, which can contain any number of Views.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
see pp. 635 ff for the description of the default stacking order in The ArchiCAD Reference Guide PDF from the Help Menu. This might shed some light on the default behaviours and what you have to do to subvert it.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
rob2218
Enthusiast
HERE'S WHAT I'M GETTING.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
You have reached the top of the stack and you can't bring the fill any further in front.
When all elements are at the top of the stack (or at an equal level in the stack) I believe they then display in there default order i.e. fills behind other elements.

So you now need to send the column and cabinets back.

However as far as I know there is no way of saving the display order differently in different views.
What you see on screen is what you will see in all views.

The only (painful) way I can think to do it would be to have the same fill in two different layers.
One set behind and turned on when needed and the other layer off.
The other fill in the second layer set to the front and turned on when you need that and turning off the layer with the fill that is set behind.

I would like all elements to show their stack level in the settings/info box (i.e. 1, 2, 3, etc.).
I am sure there is already a wish for this.

Actually here is a very old one I found.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=16424

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the key is Rob needs to select the columns and "send backward" one step, not "send to back" to have them behind the fill, but not behind other elements.