BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Deep Recess in Exterior Wall

ksjhawk
Enthusiast
I have run into this problem a number of times and always tweak and tweak until I finally get the result I want. Is there a preferred way for building deep recesses so that the representation in 2D works and you get the skin returning into the opening properly in 3D.

I usually try to use the empty opening and plug it in to the exterior wall. While I can use a custom closure and return the wall to look right in plan, this method leaves a gap between the exterior wall and the next wall. Using the empty opening in conjunction with walls that return, I get it to work in plan, but still end up with a material problem at the return in 3D

Thoughts?

Wall Fits.png
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 12.4
AC26 - AC6.5
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
I can't say for sure without setting it all up and trying.
But don't use an empty opening.
Split the front wall either side (at the corners) and raise the height of the base of the wall in the middle to make the opening.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
squall_tmo
Booster
Hello ksjhawk,

I think that you just need to choose the Rectangular Empty Door/Window (I always prefer to use it instead of the one generated by pressing the "Empty window" button because you have more parameters, but you can find this parameter in this kind of wall hole too) and then, In the first panel of the "Basic Window Settings" of the window/door, you can find the "Wall Opening Surface" parameter: choose "Same as Wall Side" and you should be able to control the surface of that edges by changing the "Reveal to wall" value.
Learn and get certified!