Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Depth in Objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try making a hole in the 'chimneystack' wall. ie. a Window with 'Empty' checked. If you get this the same size as the fireplace you should achieve your goal.

I would also recommend you pull the fireplace forward a couple of inches.

HTH - Stuart

PS. I've never tried - can an object perform a S/O on a wall?

PPS. Wouldn't it be nice if GS gave us a couple of fireplaces that 'embedded' themselves into the walls rather than just the freestanding type!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
You should technically be able to use Solid Element Operations to subtract the fireplace from the walls (or slabs), too. I guess the only advantage to it would be that if you move the fireplace the "hole" created by a subtraction would move along with it whereas a hole created by an empty window would have to be moved separately. With the window method there are 2 objects to move.

Cheers,
Karl Ottenstein
Eric wrote:
With the window method there are 2 objects to move.
Although, with Stuart's "wishful" window method ... there would be just one object: we save a fireplace as a window. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine ...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
Although, with Stuart's "wishful" window method ... there would be just one object: we save a fireplace as a window. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine ...
Absolutely none. I do that for anything that has to make a hole in a wall - you "just" have to give the infill on the back ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
i AM SORRY, BUT WHERE CAN i FIND THE INFILL?