BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Detailed beam designs with curved beams for oak frames

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please does anyone have any experience in creating complex oak frame beam designs with curved elements... finding myself really limited with ArchiCad 18
9 REPLIES 9
Dontknow
Enthusiast
I think the 'Add-on Library' will help you with this.

Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much for responding
This is indeed a curved beam, but it does not seem to be possible to have an irregular curve nor set the height at one end below that of the other to create an assymetrical arch to the underside of a monopitch roof.... are you aware of any other further options please?
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Sounds complex.
Looks like you'll have to create the profile of the beam yourself and draw the shape of the profile yourself.
You might want to do this with the profile manager or with a morph.
Can you give an example of the shape of the beam?
ArchiCAD 25.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok
I dont think profile manager will work as there is no concept beam to play with and I am not at all sure how to do a morph in this case ... I'm sorry... I guess I just dont have enough knowledge...
Thanks for your help.. much appreciated.. is you have any links to a you tube that might guide me that would be great otherwise sorry to have troubled you.
C
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think Ive worked it out !!!!
Thaks so very much for pointing me in the right direction.... morph is the way to go.
Kindest regards
C
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just for anyone else's info....
In the section, draw the arc you want as the profile of the beam, one for the bottom face and one for the top. Create a polygonal morph with nodes at the midpoints of the arcs. Curve the straight sections between nodes and then extrude the face.
Seems to work... wish Id done it months ago !!!
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
clairej wrote:
Please does anyone have any experience in creating complex oak frame beam designs with curved elements... finding myself really limited with ArchiCad 18
If you're doing a lot of oak framing, you should take a look at FrameWright.

Also see some examples from The Oak Frame Carpentry Company.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Dontknow
Enthusiast
clairej wrote:
In the section, draw the arc you want as the profile of the beam, one for the bottom face and one for the top. Create a polygonal morph with nodes at the midpoints of the arcs. Curve the straight sections between nodes and then extrude the face.
Well done!
ArchiCAD 25.
Barry Kelly
clairej wrote:
That is very similar to what you need to do for a complex profile.
Instead of the polygonal morph you create a simple fill on the elevation in the shape of your beam.
Copy this and paste it into the profile manager.
Set it as a beam and/or wall (can be both).
Now you place it on plan with the beam or wall tool - the length of the beam or wall is the width of your oak beam.

You may find a complex profile is easier to edit if you need to modify the shape of your beam.
Edit the profile and all placed beams will update.
Duplicate and modify the profile and you have another beam/wall to use for a different situation.

The morph could be a little tricky to edit (depending on what you need to do - if anything).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!