BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Different wall & roof heights?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Is it possible in archicad to have different starting heights for roofs?

Not sure how best to explain this but I need to draw a roof which follows a sloping wall.

For example wall starts at height of 2400 and goes down to 1245.

Is this possoible or does the 'bottom' of the roof have to stay the same height?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
The edges of the roof do not have to be parallel / perpendicular to the roof pivot line (setout line) if that's what you mean.

The easiest way to set a roof out to an unknown angle is to establish at least 3 points in 3D space, and create your roof in the 3D window using these points. The slope and pivot line location will be automatically calculated.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks

but how do you create points?
Anonymous
Not applicable
If i'm understanding correctly, then yes it is possible to create roof with sloping edge at wall/eaves line - you can set the roof pivot line at an angle to suit.

as s2art mentioned, can be done in 3d window by picking 3 points - you can use walls or slabs to set up the required heights and then click to nodes with roof tool.

alternatively, use the mesh-to-roof tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a similar case whereas I had to design a shed structure with a roof pitch of 10 degrees with the entire structure pitched/tilted at 30 degree to incase roller coaster ride.
Back in the early versions of Archicad there was no editing or vary limited (ArchiCAD V6) of roofs in 3D as there is now.
The solution was to rotate the pitching line of the roof a certain angle away from the wall (involved some maths to work this out) instead of tracing the length of wall for a normal roof.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please see this thread.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=90216&highlight=two+temperary+temporary+roofs#90...

Specifically, Link's method
for drawing roofs in the 3D window.
Peter Devlin
Learn and get certified!