BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Disappearing 3D in 2D view

toman311
Enthusiast
I am not sure why ArchiCAD is doing this, but for some reason when I open up a 2D view of the model, like an elevation, sometimes all of the 3D elements disappear and any 2D lines stay. To get the 3D elements to come back, I have to adjust the layer combination setting and sometimes I got to adjust the Model View options available in my ArchiCAD template. Usually the Model View options need to be set to one other setting to get them to come back. Then when the problem happens again, I switch back to the original setting to get the 3D components to come back all while sometimes adjusting the layer combination selected. I choose the "All On" layer combination, which has all the layers turned on.

I haven't been able to figure this out and it is really annoying when getting ready to print since I have to open up each viewport and change the settings. It scares me as well since sometimes I need to select different Model View options other than the typical two that I usually toggle between. So far I have been able to bring the 3D back. Hopefully there won't be a time when I can't.

The template never had this problem before, so I don't think this is the template. This problem has been going on for a little while though.

Any ideas are appreciated!
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
toman311 wrote:
I am not sure why ArchiCAD is doing this, but for some reason when I open up a 2D view of the model, like an elevation, sometimes all of the 3D elements disappear and any 2D lines stay. To get the 3D elements to come back, I have to adjust the layer combination setting and sometimes I got to adjust the Model View options available in my ArchiCAD template. Usually the Model View options need to be set to one other setting to get them to come back. Then when the problem happens again, I switch back to the original setting to get the 3D components to come back all while sometimes adjusting the layer combination selected. I choose the "All On" layer combination, which has all the layers turned on.

I haven't been able to figure this out and it is really annoying when getting ready to print since I have to open up each viewport and change the settings. It scares me as well since sometimes I need to select different Model View options other than the typical two that I usually toggle between. So far I have been able to bring the 3D back. Hopefully there won't be a time when I can't.

The template never had this problem before, so I don't think this is the template. This problem has been going on for a little while though.

Any ideas are appreciated!
Would it be possible that in your viewmap settings, you have chosen a layer combination where some of those stuff are hidden? So everytime you go into 2D (assuming it is in your viewmap). It applies the layer combination so then it is gone, even if you turn them on, it will reset everytime you double click on your plans.

It's just my guess. Hope you sorted it out!
toman311
Enthusiast
Sadly that is not the answer...
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
matjashka
Enthusiast
I have the exact same problem since I started using v20. After opening a section or elevation, no 3D info is shown. To force ArchiCAD to generate the model, an important view parameter has to change, like scale, MVO etc. and then model re-appears. HOWEVER, the view placed in layout remains invisible, and returning to the original view settings hides the 3D info again.
There's really no warning, drawings must be checked before publishing.
I also started noticing that AC20 has a problem with text (!) disappearing from layouts, completely unrelated to layer display settings.

REMEDY: restart ArchiCAD.

REPORTED to GS NA: October 2016, with screen capture video to demonstrate the bug. No follow-up regarding the problem.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Learn and get certified!