Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Do you remember? ArchiCAD History from Radar CH to ArchiCAD

Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
On http://archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%20versions site you can find the list of all released ArchiCAD versions. We have also collected the release dates, supported platform, features, ArchiCAD file and hardware protection compatibility of all versions.
Do you remember on your first ArchiCAD? What was your favorite feature?
Katalin Takacs
28 REPLIES 28
ArchiTAD
Newcomer
Do I remember?

Yep — I remember a lot!

A loooonnngg time ago, at the Architectural firm I was part of, we bought ArchiCAD 3.something directly from it's creator, Gabor Bojar, shortly after they opened up their US office in South San Francisco. I sat with him a few times and pointed out a few errors and weaknesses with the program, but overall praised him for the magnificent architectural tool he offered. The accompanying manual was horrendous! "Hunglish" is the best way to describe it. I spent many hours on the phone with their tech support—yep, Gabor again. Bought two licenses for the firm, each promising "Lifetime" free upgrades—had to fight for them a couple of times!

In 2005, I was in Budapest on a "Key Client" invitation, when during a demonstration of the upcoming AC10 release, I noticed the demonstrator organizing plot sheets within AC! My heart raced, I raised my hand and asked if I was possibly seeing the end of my least favorite part of AC — PlotMaker. He smiled and said that PlotMaker, formerly a standalone supplemental application, was now an integral part of ArchiCAD! For me, hands down, that was my personal favorite feature upgrade. I, unfortunately, had to keep my mouth shut because of a non-disclosure agreement I signed.

Teamwork, is my next favorite upgrade — use it all the time.

My absolute favorite version is AC11 — probably has a lot to do with Graphisoft using my Massaro/Wright House photo for the product merchandising. A photo that I took when visiting the site during its construction. The AC11 Multi-story Hotlinked Modules functionality, though, were a very useful new feature for me, and still are.

Twenty-four years using the same architectural CAD program may seem like a long time, but time passes quickly. I firmly believe that I started with the best CAD program available at the time and still believe that it is the best — for me anyway! I can't wait to get my hands on new versions when they are released.

The frustrations and disappointments, of which there were/are many, are of course, a whole other story.

Long live ArchiCAD! — and yes, I still like the name, and don't think it needs changing.

Tom
Thomas A Dailey, CPBD, AIBD, Assoc. AIA
www.designdailey.com
ArchiCAD • 25+ years experience
AC …20, Sketchup Pro 2016, Artlantis Studio 6 Piranisi 6 PRO, VectorWorks, Adobe CC, 27" iMacs, G4 Cube, Mac OS 10.12.5, iPad Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate
Stress Co_
Advisor
ArchiTAD wrote:
Bought two licenses for the firm, each promising "Lifetime" free upgrades—
I hope that's still working for you
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
ArchiTAD
Newcomer
Not with that firm anymore, but last I heard, Graphisoft was still honoring the purchase agreement — good for them! My personal license was purchased a few years later and lifetime free upgrade wasn't offered anymore — dagumit!
Thomas A Dailey, CPBD, AIBD, Assoc. AIA
www.designdailey.com
ArchiCAD • 25+ years experience
AC …20, Sketchup Pro 2016, Artlantis Studio 6 Piranisi 6 PRO, VectorWorks, Adobe CC, 27" iMacs, G4 Cube, Mac OS 10.12.5, iPad Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I picked up a demo CD of Archicad at an AIA convention in Atlanta (mid 90's?) When I got home I loaded it on my computer and started playing with it. I was amazed at what it could do and how easy it was to use. Once I even modeled a simple house with the demo version and took polaroid pictures of different 3d views to show a client (all the while hoping the power didn't go out). My boss finally purchased it-version 4.55 for PC.
I agree with Tom-my favorite "new" feature was the integration of plotmaker.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Markus Denzlinger
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I still love ARCHICAD 3.42 on my Macintosh IIsi.

Markus
Richard Morgan
Participant

I'm certain I started drawing with Graphisoft CAD using a 2D program Calle (I think) ArchiDraw?

My favourite feature in that program was its ability to calculate that Centre of Gravity for complicated shapes. Sadly, that facility was lost when ArchiDraw became Archicad.

Several times have I written to Graphisoft to add the facility into Archicad but no-one seems to be interested. I began then to doubt my own memory.

I would welcome someone confirming it existed. I have often wonder whether the original code (which must still exist in someone's Geek-Cupboard) could be revitalised in a GDL script?

Best wishes to all, Richard Morgan

David Bearss
Booster

So that link is apparently very old. Can someone point me to version and feature history?

BTW this site search feature is useless.

David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram

@David Bearss wrote:

So that link is apparently very old. Can someone point me to version and feature history?

BTW this site search feature is useless.

I just searched "Archicad versions" (without the quotes), and got this...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Let-s-get-started/Archicad-versions/ta-p/304207

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Bearss
Booster

Ah darn. Sure enough user error.

Thanks for your polite assistance Barry.

David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram