BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Document>Layers>Layer Extras>Active Layer

Craig Bagley
Contributor
I'm not getting the "One Active Layer for all Element types" to work as advertised. I have an active tool selected, then set the choice to "One Active Layer for all Element types". If I'm reading things right, other tool settings should open with the default layer changed. Am I missing some step?
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
5 REPLIES 5
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes, it should set all element defaults to the chosen layer, once you activate it as you describe. Then the layer needs to be unhidden and unlocked.

It won't affect elements that are already placed. You'll need to use the Edit Selection Set command for that.

What tools is it working/not working for?

Cheers,
Link.
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Link wrote:
What tools is it working/not working for?

Cheers,
Link.
Doesn't work for any tool.

Further testing reveals the following:

1. Same problem on two computers (both running OS X Snow Leopard, and the same version of AC).
2. If I start with a new template file, I can get the feature to work ONCE, meaning I can toggle to "One Active Layer for all Element types", and all tools display the same layer as advertised. However, I can never toggle back.
3. The one time it works successfully as noted above, the red Close button for the Active Layer palette will trigger a warning: "Do you wish to revert to the last used individually set layers?" Whatever choice I make (usually "Keep Current Layer"), I can never get the Close button to work again in that file. I can toggle back and forth after the one successful toggle, all to no effect. The layers setting will remain as set with the one successful toggle.
4. I sense the inability to use the Close button (which triggers the warning, which in turn may trigger the toggle) is part of the problem.

Thanks for weighing in, Link...

Craig
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If you attempt to close the Active Layer dialog while it is still set to 'One Active Layer for all Element types', it will present you with that warning. If you set it back to 'Individually set Layers', it won't. That's standard procedure. What isn't is that you can't use the function again.

Perhaps try setting it back to 'Individually set Layers' and then closing it and see what happens.

Process of elimination!

Cheers,
Link.
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Link wrote:
Perhaps try setting it back to 'Individually set Layers' and then closing it and see what happens.

Process of elimination!

Cheers,
Link.
It won't close (Close button stops working). The Close button only works once, under any circumstance. The only way to close the palette after one successful close is to use the "Active Layer" command again. But that step doesn't toggle anything, in my tests; it simply closes the palette.

Craig
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Craig,

I confirmed the glitch. It exists in version 15 but works fine in 16 and 17. Unfortunately I would not expect any more Hotfixes for version 15.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Learn and get certified!