BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Documenting with many subfolders

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello again,
I was wondering if we can assign a custom, extra value to a subset so we can use it as reference for autotexting.
I created a small sketch to properly demonstrate what I want to do.
I want to add an autotext to the red boxes (all the red boxes follow the same master layout) which will read and display the name of the subset -1 level of the root. So all the red boxes under "NAME 1" subset, no matter how many subfolders deep, will display the value "NAME 1" and
the red boxes under "NAME 2" will display the value "NAME 2" accordingly.
Hopefully I made myself clear.
Thank you forum
7 REPLIES 7
Eduardo Rolon
AFAIK you only get the Previous Subfolder in auto text for for Level 1 you will only get the subfolders. As a workaround you could create a new auto text in Project Info were you could add that info.
Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.31.48 AM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the fast reply,
I thought of that, but then I would need to actualy,triple the number of master page layouts, and then choose the sets with the correct AUTOTEXT input.
Eduardo Rolon
Tripled Only?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
heheh , which will bring me to a grand total of ~120 masters!
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
If I understand correctly what you are trying to do **can** be done to a certain extent.
For your first level (not root), use the ID instead of the name for your autotext; and for the items, check the "Use prefix & IDs of upper levels" option, this way anything you add directly will use that ID.

Then for each sublevel/subset/folder just use the "Assign ID automatically" option for the subset identification, this will read the ID of the top level (NAME1 in your case). This can go as deep as needed, and will read the ID of the top level.

Copy everything and change to NAME2 and every ID updates for those contained in that subset.

In the autotext, use subset ID instead of subset name. It works, but you may run into other issues, such as numbering.

In attached, the same master is used in all layouts, viewing a layout from sublevel 3 and showing the first ID of the top subset (NAME1)

Hope I understood correctly and this helps.
Best regards.
subsets.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply!
As you already mentioned, with this method I am going to face problems with numbering and probably with some special IDs I am using. To make things more simple, I do not want to change the name of the layout sheets but use an autotext value inside the sheets, like reading the phase of the study,
for example "concept,preliminary study, final study" , which means that
the name of the sheet would be "1.1 Floor Plan" (id & Label) and inside the sheet would be a value that reads the name of the subfolder, and read "final study"
leceta
Expert
It's an idea to develop, but I see that a possible workaround would be the use of GDL object instead of autotext, wich parses the the layout ID, which contains the information of its exact position on the "layout tree", and assigns a "name" to a layout accordingly
Learn and get certified!