BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Doing a fence/wire facade...is it possible

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working on a project for my graduate studio that has a metal fencing with strips of metal woven thrown it at certain parts as part of the facade. I want to model it in ArchiCAD but I'm not sure how to. I am somewhat new to ArchiCAD so if anyone could give me a hint of how to do this, I would really appreciate it.
If you need a visual, I can post a picture of the actual model that I built.
3 REPLIES 3
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Scott Bulmer
Booster
From Objects Online we have used the 'Infill Screen' very successfully simulating chain link fencing. Goto http://www.objectsonline.com/customer/product.php?productid=115739&cat=718&page=4.
They have many other screening/fencing products listed under Archicad/Construction Elements/Fencing & Railings. Hope that's what you're looking for.
Ciao
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Karl Ottenstein
In general, and IMHO, screens, wire fencing, etc. are best represented by an alpha-masked texture material with a corresponding fill that produces the desired linework in elevation ... unless you need to cut sections through the wire or lathe and have those sections look accurate at a high scale, or have extreme close-up views.

The image-applied-to-surface approach eliminates thousands of polygons that would otherwise slow down your model for no reason.

As Link says, this has been discussed as length over the years both here (search) and the old escribe archive (also searchable).

Good luck with your project.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!