BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Door Insertion Point - why does it insert where it is?

rob2218
Enthusiast
So..trying to trace a DWG plan.
trying to insert door objects EXACTLY where I want to insert them from the get go..but for some reason ALL doors seem to only be insertable (if that is a word) based on some "shim spacer" point...not the HINGE point...how do I get the doors to insert using a "HINGE" point as the insertion point?

DOOR INSERTION POINT-small.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Well, this is how ARCHICAD works, you can insert by either side of the Wall hole or by the middle. 3 insertion options available.

If I see it correctly the frames in the Wall are not drawn in the original DWG. If they were you had the point to click to.

Here is what I would do: Let's say your frame is 2". I would Special Snap Points to the Distance option and set this 2" for the Distance value. Then I would hover my cursor outside the edge of the Door on the Wall edge and the Special Snap Point would show me where to click.
I hope this explanation makes sense.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
Yes Lazs...your explanation makes sense....but....wouldn't you think it would make more sense for a "door object" to be able to be inserted based on it's "hinge" rather than never-used 'shim' spot?

I mean seriously. I general, designers could care less how/where that shim spot is because...well, shimming and gaps involve many factors so why are we inserting doors based on a "node" that is...well, useless? (the question is rhetorical).

I think for future version...Graphisoft may want to consider creating or embedding or coding in a "hotspot" in the door object that can be used as an insertion target..............such as the door hinge.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
What happens in a corner situation when that frame butts up against another wall?
Inserting by the door hinge will be useless as it is the edge of the frame that needs to touch (or be slightly clear) of the other wall.

To me it makes perfect sense to place a door object by the side of the frame.
After all you are positioning the entire frame and not just the door.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
Well...first off, if you have a door so close to the corner where the hinge is touching the corner you are practicing bad architecture. No door should be that close to a corner, you should at least leave (min.) of 4" from another partition...simple as that.
If a door is close to a corner you will have no room for your trim. How do you expect to get a door trim in there?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Bill
Contributor
Rob, is the rough opening size set to be the same as the unit size? Another way to ask this question is, is there any additional tolerance? That is what controls the size of the shim space. If you don't want to deal with the shim space, just set the tolerance to zero, and the rough opening size will be the same as the unit size.

Doesn't solve your request for having another insert point, but at least it eliminates another set of lines+points.

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Rob, make a wish for this feature.
Actually I can see where you are coming from because in case of all other GDL Object types that do not insert into a Wall you can define as many hotspots as you want and you can insert them by any of these hotspots. Even in case of Skylights, which is also a GDL Object type that insert into a host element.
So this is only the limitation of Doors and Windows.
I guess this is just how historically these two Tools were designed and programmed to work.

If you make a wish, please post its link here so people know about it and can vote for it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rgarand
Booster
You can set your door up with 0 horizontal tolerance and 0 upper tolerance. Then set your frame width to 0. This will give you a door without a frame, like we used to draw back in the old days. You can then insert your doors over the other doors and they get placed correctly.

Then later when you want to catapult to 2015 you can select all of your doors and change the frame width to whatever you want and the doors expand from the original insertion point, keeping the doors in place.

A work around for sure, but doable.

Or set up your Model View Options (MVO) to Simple, insert your doors with frame width still set to 0
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Learn and get certified!