Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Door Sill not showing correctly

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi probably a really easy fix but I can't seem to find the answer myself.

How do you show a door sill correctly. My sub walls and main wall intersect at ground level as my wall construction changes at this level however this then creates a problem where my door sill is past the end of the wall it sits in thus the wall underneath cuts through the sill ?

How do I stop this ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
shaneharman wrote:
So am I right in thinking once I store it as a complex profile I can use it as a wall type but the height of the wall type will be set as per the complex profile and not height adjustable ?
Walls place with complex profiles can be increased in height but can not be decreased.
So the actual profile is the smallest your wall can be.

You can edit the fills in the complex profile to make them shorter.
You can also set the vertical stretch extents so only a particular part of your profile stretches (i.e. the upper part of the wall) instead of the entire wall proportionally.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
shaneharman:

Add an Empty Opening (Simple Door Opening) to the lower Wall. Doors and Windows only cut the Wall they are placed in.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
Or use a complex profile wall that combines the different wall types.
Then you have only one wall and the sill should cut it properly.

You can model the walls separately, select both then EDIT > REHAPE > MERGE WALLS.
This will create the complex profile for you and even swap it with the two walls.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Tim Ball
Expert
Both doors and windows have poor top and bottom detailing in section so you need a work around.

I create the door sill as a separate complex profile, beam or wall, and place that on the storey below ground level. That gives you control over everything and you can show DPC details correctly.
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Or use a complex profile wall that combines the different wall types.
Then you have only one wall and the sill should cut it properly.

You can model the walls separately, select both then EDIT > REHAPE > MERGE WALLS.
This will create the complex profile for you and even swap it with the two walls.

Barry.
Barry,
Apologies you have lost me purely as I was unaware you could do this ! (Self taught so probably loads I do not know) The ground floor wall and substructure walls are made up of two different composites so will this still work ?
Barry Kelly
shaneharman wrote:
Barry,
Apologies you have lost me purely as I was unaware you could do this ! (Self taught so probably loads I do not know) The ground floor wall and substructure walls are made up of two different composites so will this still work ?
Yes this will merge any parallel walls into a single composite keeping their original materials.
It will replace the selected walls with a 'Custom' complex profile, which you are best to open in the Profile Manager and then save as a complex profile with a meaningful name.
Then swap the selected 'Custom' profile in the plan with the newly save profile.
Otherwise you can end up with many 'Custom' profiles in your plan and you will have no idea what they really are.
Plus you need to save it as a new profile so you can use it again for other walls.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry, Thanks for your response.

So am I right in thinking once I store it as a complex profile I can use it as a wall type but the height of the wall type will be set as per the complex profile and not height adjustable ?
Solution
Barry Kelly
shaneharman wrote:
Walls place with complex profiles can be increased in height but can not be decreased.
So the actual profile is the smallest your wall can be.

You can edit the fills in the complex profile to make them shorter.
You can also set the vertical stretch extents so only a particular part of your profile stretches (i.e. the upper part of the wall) instead of the entire wall proportionally.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,
Thank you so much - I generally never knew you could do this. I think I need to book a training course as clearly there are lots of features I am not using correctly and I could have saved myself so much time trying to fashion walls so they show correctly in details.

You are a life saver.