BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Door with Reveal doesn't turn plaster in 3D

alexliz
Participant
I've got this sliding door (D2 Pocket 12) and I've set it up to use the 2nd option in the Reveal / Wall Closure settings pane. In plan view, all is well.

In 3D, though, the reference side's plaster strata doesn't turn into the door opening.

Any tips?

Many thanks, people.

3D_wall_no_plaster_turned.png
Alex Zachopoulos

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz, MacOS X 10.5.6, ArchiCAD 11 & 12, WinXP, Vista (well, not really Vista...)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, the 'plaster' skin turning is not physically modelled by doors or windows. It is just a 2d symbol on the floorplan. This problem is also mentioned here - http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=27206.

Sadly, this means that both internal and external elevations, sections, as well as the 3d window and any rendered views are not correct! I don't really understand the decision to omit these in 3d?

To work around this I created a parametric window surround trim that could be stretched to fit around any window, which has options for the outer skin, internal plaster skin, internal window cill and also an external edge frame for the window, all with individual fill controls.

You can still see the edges in the openGL 3d window, but everywhere else it merges seamlessly.

The code basicly consists of several of these subroutines, each representing an individual trim. In this case rthick = render thickness and rdep = the depth.
wid = A
high = ZZYZX

!!------------------------------------------------------------RENDER
100:
IF rendon = 1 THEN

SECT_FILL rfill, flbkpen,flpen, flcntpen

cprism_ rcol, rcol, rcol,
            10,          rdep,
               	0,            	0,     			15,		!1	outside points
           		wid,            0,      		15,		!2
             	wid,          	high,      		15,		!3 
                0,         		high,      		15,		!4
              	0,       		0,     			-1,		!5
               	rthick,      	rthick,     	15,		!6  inside points
               	wid-rthick,   	rthick,     	15,		!7
               	wid-rthick,    	high-rthick,    15,		!8
               	rthick,        	high-rthick,    15,		!9
               	rthick,        	rthick,     	-1		!10

ENDIF

RETURN
You would be better off creating one yourself rather than me posting mine, as you will have your own specific requirements for a door.

Hope that helps.
window_surround_trim1.jpg
alexliz
Participant
Very helpful, Peter, thank you very much!

In the past I had written my own openings (they were neo-classical in style, as those found in Greek building around the turn of the 20th c. up till the '30s. I guess it's time to brush up on my gdl skills again...

I can't for the life of me imagine how those people at GS think. If I end up writing my own windows/doors just to cover this need, then I am missing on all the advantages of the otherwise quite advanced ones in the original AC12 library. I mean, what's the point?

Between this and a couple of other issues, I am getting rather disappointed. Not to say fed up...
Alex Zachopoulos

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz, MacOS X 10.5.6, ArchiCAD 11 & 12, WinXP, Vista (well, not really Vista...)
Learn and get certified!