Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Doors and Storefronts AC 16

Greg D
Participant
I have a storefront system with doors as the end panel of multiple window panels, with a concealed hinge. This means no additional frame to carry the door - it is part of the window system.

I don't find anything in either the window or door storefront libraries that allows me to make one of the windows a door, or select the number of panels on either side of a single door.

Here's a photo of the existing condition. Anyone have a simple idea? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Greg Danskin
AC 16
iMac 27 10,1
OS 10.6.8
Greg Danskin - Architect
http://www.danskinarchitecture.com

AC 19/20/21
iMac Retina 5K, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
9 REPLIES 9
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Greg,

Unless there are specific features in the storefront object that are more suitable for you I might suggest using the Curtain Wall tool. It is very quick to customize. I changed a panel to a door and although the frame cannot be completely removed you can set the parameters to a negligible value such as 1/256" and the will be virtually invisible. To remove the frame boundary below the door you will need to set the frame piece"s "a" parameter to zero.

Help page on Curtain Wall Tool: http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/publishing/ac16_help_INT/Files/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=...

HTH
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Greg D
Participant
Thank you Nicholas. This will be a good thing. I am diving into the curtain wall tool, not having occasion to use it as yet.

It looks like you used two separate curtain walls adjacent to each other to create the windows and the door. If I understand the way the panel designations work, you can only have two different panel styles. This plus a transom over the door requires two separate curtain walls. Am I correct?

Also, did you place a rectangular door opening in the wall to accommodate the curtain wall?

Thanks for helping!

Greg
Greg Danskin - Architect

AC 19/20/21
iMac Retina 5K, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Greg wrote:
It looks like you used two separate curtain walls adjacent to each other to create the windows and the door. If I understand the way the panel designations work, you can only have two different panel styles. This plus a transom over the door requires two separate curtain walls. Am I correct?
When you have entered Editing mode for the Curtain Wall, select the window panel that you want to be a door, then open its settings and under Panel Type and Geometry is a pop up list of various panel types including doors. A single Curtain Wall can have windows, solid panels, doors. The Curtain Wall tool works a bit differently than the other tools, so takes some learning/experimentation.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Greg,

This can be made easily from a single curtain wall. I have attached a PDF showing the general breakdown of the creation of this curtain wall. You can place an opening in the housing wall to place the curtain wall inside.

HTH
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Greg D
Participant
Thank you Nick and David. The step-by-step was very helpful.

I see there are joints in the vertical frames at each horizontal. Is there a way to eliminate that line so the model looks more like a real storefront, with full-height verticals?

Also, I played with the priority slider, and the intersection became mitred, but offset. I tried playing around with the intersection of the horizontal and vertical pieces, but cannot seem to get to a clean mitre. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all the help. I was not expecting a full visual tutorial, but it really did the trick!

Greg PS I'll work on that signature...
Greg Danskin - Architect

AC 19/20/21
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
Greg D
Participant
One other thing...

What did you use to create the t-bar ceiling?

Thanks,

Greg
Greg Danskin - Architect

AC 19/20/21
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Greg wrote:
I see there are joints in the vertical frames at each horizontal. Is there a way to eliminate that line so the model looks more like a real storefront, with full-height verticals?
The lines should disappear in Section/Elevation windows, or if you change the 3D Window to Internal Engine Hidden Line, or Shaded with Contours set to Best.
Greg wrote:
Also, I played with the priority slider, and the intersection became mitred, but offset. I tried playing around with the intersection of the horizontal and vertical pieces, but cannot seem to get to a clean mitre. Any suggestions?
I don't think you will get a clean mitre, but will butt the end of the horizontal to the vertical. Try setting the 2 adjacent horizontal parts (door sill and glass sill) to Connection Priority 10, and the vertical to 15 (the vertical Priority is higher than the horizontals', which are equal). Depending on the other parts' Connection Priority, other settings with the same relationship may be less disruptive.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Greg wrote:
I have a storefront system with doors as the end panel of multiple window panels, with a concealed hinge. This means no additional frame to carry the door - it is part of the window system.
I don't find anything in either the window or door storefront libraries that allows me to make one of the windows a door, or select the number of panels on either side of a single door.
You could also try the Modular Joinery object. It's now available to subscribers on BIMcomponents. The object can be used for an almost infinite range of windows/doors/panels. And you can place it in an ordinary wall because it's an ordinary door/window object, i.e. no messing about trying to create openings to place it into, and the object also understands that a door doesn't necessarily require a frame beneath.

I made an example like your photo and attached some images. I've included a few snapshots of the settings panel used to configure the object to illustrate some of the key points. I can provide more detail if this looks like it might suit you.
  • 1. An overview of the whole unit. Every window/door/panel can be selected by clicking on it in the illustration, and the settings are displayed to the right. Because nothing is selected, the properties of the bounding frame are shown, e.g. overall size, frame type & size, and divisions.

2. The same overview but with a door selected. The door settings are displayed to the right, including type, orientation, size, and configuration of sash/rail/transom.

3. A selected door/window/panel can also be zoomed in/out. In this illustration, I've selected one of the windows and zoomed into the lower glazed section. I've then selected the pane and selected the darker glass for the panel. In this way, each panel can be individually customised if necessary.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Greg D
Participant
David,

Both the intersection and subsequent view in elevation window work perfectly. Why is it that most solutions seem so simple after you know how to accomplish them???
Many Thanks!
Greg Danskin - Architect

AC 19/20/21
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra