BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Doors and drawers

Apostolos14
Booster

Hi, I have two questions

1) how can i show, in a 3D design, open doors and drawers in cabinets and kitchen cabinets using Archicad 25 's library?

2) how can i make cabinets and furniturein .gsm format so i can open and close doors and drawers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Hello Apostolos14,

Another fairly easy workaround is to create cabinets with closed doors or drawers then another with opened doors or drawers to get both into 1 and being able to select one of them through a variable.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
matjashka
Enthusiast

Hello fellow Apostolos!

What you're asking for can only be accomplished with the type of .gsm objects that are called "parametric" i.e. their code contains variables that can be changed by the User. In your case, one such variable would be the displacement of a drawer.

1) Unfortunately: Archicad casework library quite limited in what you can do with the cabinets, and opening of doors and drawers is not supported; however

2) It is possible to create your own object in the same way you write small programs for the computer to execute. Recent versions of Archicad have a tool called "Param-O" that helps facilitate some of that programming, but it only supports a limited amount of shapes and transformations. You're better off learning how to write such code manually, which takes time.

A fairly easy workaround is to create cabinets without doors or drawers and then model the drawers and doors separately in open position.

Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Solution

Hello Apostolos14,

Another fairly easy workaround is to create cabinets with closed doors or drawers then another with opened doors or drawers to get both into 1 and being able to select one of them through a variable.

Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

I know it is parametric design.
what possibilities do I have, is my question.
thanks!

thanks but
that is, each time I place different objects, depending on what I want to show?

making custom cupboard, I can not give this parameter?

No !
it is about a single object which includes a variable allowing to display one or the other of the volumes (open or close). It is not optimal in terms of file size but it is functional and very easy to access.

Christophe - FRANCE

I don't see any way to open doors and drawers in the default Archicad objects.

3rd party objects may have this option.

Otherwise you will have to create your own.

If you can script in GDL I guess you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

So I am guessing scripting objects is out of the equation.

You can create a cabinet in as much detail as you like using walls, slabs, morphs, etc.

Model it with the doors open and save selection as a library object.

It won't be parametric (as in you won't be able to open/close the doors or change sizes, handles, number of doors, etc.

And you will probably still want to know a little about GDL scripting to be able to manipulate the plan view.

I am not sure if the Library part Maker (if that is available to you) can be used for objects like cabinets.

I don't use LPM so not sure exactly how it works or its availability.

Or as matjashka mentioned, place cabinets without doors (if the object lets you do that) and model the doors separately with walls or morphs.

matjashka also mentioned Param-o.

That may help you create a parametric object, but will still be quite complicated.

Or maybe convert the object to a morph.

Then you might be able to manipulate the door into an open position - or delete the door and add a new one that is open.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Converting objects to morphs works pretty well.

BarryKelly_0-1637745720527.png

Not so much for the floor plan if you need to see that.

BarryKelly_1-1637745766761.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

"it is about a single object which includes a variable allowing to display one or the other of the volumes (open or close)"

how do I give this variable? that is my problem!

gdl would really help, i know how to save as gdl but not to make the scripts

Learn and get certified!