Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Downloaded Objects have large dimensions, how do i fix that?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been trying to build an object library using items downloaded from the website Formfonts.com. I'll relay my entire process, even if some steps are not relevant to my exact problem.

Ok, here it goes. I'll download the object from Formfonts as a DWG. I then go into archicad, open the object and save it to the embedded library. After that, I go back into the object to place a thumbnail, and clean up the 2d object. I do this because we are placing the object into floor plans, and most of the time the 2d image is way too complicated. All of this goes off without a hitch. I am running into problems with the size of the object. For example, I have downloaded a coffee table, and when I open the object in archicad, the dimensions are something like 77' x 73'. Yes, that says feet and not inches. Simply altering the dimension does nothing. I'll save it, re-open the object, and the dimensions will be back to the 77x73. I have gone into details and made sure the box which says "fit size to 2d symbol" is checked. I have also made sure the 2d symbol is the proper size. This works to an extent, but then the 3d object remains enormous. I can manipulate the object after it has been placed into a drawing, however we want to be able to place this object without having to manipulate it. This will save us time and create a graphic standard. How can I fix this problem?
11 REPLIES 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Besides duplicating, you can see in the Location field the exact path to the XML files containing the given Translator.
It is possible that the XML file got set to read-only and this is why it appears locked in the Dialog. At least this is how it works on my computer.
You can uncheck the read-only checkbox in the Properties Dialog of the XML file in Windows Explorer. Then, if you leave the DXF-DWG Translator Dialog, then come back, the given Translator should not be locked.

Why it got set to read only? That is a good question.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome! Thank you guys! I finally got it to work. Here was the issue. When I tried to alter the DWG translator settings, I was not allowed to click or even duplicate the "02 for editable imports". Upon clicking the only item I could, I discovered that the location of the file was for a different computer user. I have my own login and password for this computer. There is an administrative login as well. Archicad is loaded on the administrative side. Therefore, I could not go in to change the settings for the DWG Translator. I simply logged into the administrative side and everything works great. Thank you so much for helping me!

Best,

Will