Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

EXTRACT GDL CUSTOM PARAMETERS' VALUES

Nader Belal
Mentor
Hi there,

How can I extract library object custom parameters' values in Grasshopper to be able to inject them in Object's Properties Settings component ?

If not possible, what C# / VBA / Python Script should I use in Grasshopper script component to have the ability to access their values ?

The same question have been posted on McNeel's Rhinoceros Forum, since I think that the answer will benefit the programs users, here is the link
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/extract-archicads-gdl-custom-parameters-values/77706?u=nader_belal
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
16 REPLIES 16
leceta
Expert
i have miserably failed in the past trying to digg inside connection plugins GHA library throw ghpythonlib module, almost everything were private classes. This should be taken into account, Archicad components are one of the scarse components that doesn’t work (well, i dont know how to work with) with ghpythonlib module. This module gives programatical access to grasshopper components, wich make them work as method calls. https://stevebaer.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/ghpython-node-in-code/

Sorry Moonlight, can help you on this. Just trying to keep the conversation alive.

P.S: well, you always can write txt files from GDL to be read from GH if you are in a hurry...
Nader Belal
Mentor
@leceta

I´m grateful for your help, and for sure I will check that link.

Look, my line of thought is quiet simple, just follow my line of thinking ....
You have a GH component capable of opening your loaded ArchiCAD Library, can see each object, and if permitted it can manipulate the object's custom GDL Parameters, and implement the desired change per object & instance.

So if you're able to that from Grasshopper, why can I export those values to a panel in Grasshopper ???

Cause if you were able to do all the above, and the object GUI is able to read the the object's parameters and values, that means their is a connection that already have been done, but it doesn't include this aspect.

Sorry for the long reply, and thank you again
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Joe Putnam
Booster
Maybe I am not understanding what you are attempting to do but why cant you expose them as described in the manual? I have used this for setting object values from GH.

I am also messing around with creating custom Property Groups and Classifications as a similar option but utilizing a custom XML file generator within Grasshopper to create both the Property Groups/Properties & the Custom Classifications so that it is a little more fluid and I dont have touch the property manager other than to re-import my XML file.

Then expose with the default method
Joe Putnam
Booster
Joe wrote:
expose them as described in the manual
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Joe Putnam

You didn't get my idea.

Your way is dependent on the ArchiCAD user to fill Object's properties by the property manager.

But what if I have generated this property in GDL as a parameter, then how can I get the value of this parameter to the property manager ...

Real case scenario, imagine having a parametric door, with different models, but only some of these models are complaint, would you like to fill all those properties again and again, or wouldn't you like to automate the process.

Another application for such idea, would be beneficial for Classification Manager, wouldn't you think ?
Joe Putnam
Booster
yes I am totally confused because this works perfectly for me as designed by Graphisoft. I can get default parameters and write my own that I can access in GH or even in Archicad.
Joe Putnam
Booster
additional showing result
Joe Putnam
Booster
and because this site will not let me link the files I am pasting this here. really is there no way to share the objects and grasshopper definitions on this site?

https://we.tl/t-rLVUOzemTb
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Joe

you're going in the wrong direction from what I have in mind.

I want to extract the values from GDL (values of Pt1X, Pt1Y, Pt1Z from ArchiCAD) that were already used in a model, and inject them to the desired property settings.