Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

EXTRACT GDL CUSTOM PARAMETERS' VALUES

Nader Belal
Mentor
Hi there,

How can I extract library object custom parameters' values in Grasshopper to be able to inject them in Object's Properties Settings component ?

If not possible, what C# / VBA / Python Script should I use in Grasshopper script component to have the ability to access their values ?

The same question have been posted on McNeel's Rhinoceros Forum, since I think that the answer will benefit the programs users, here is the link
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/extract-archicads-gdl-custom-parameters-values/77706?u=nader_belal
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
16 REPLIES 16
Joe Putnam
Booster
As far as the classification manager and property groups go as I said those can be read in by importing an xml so its really simple to create those if you know how to write out XML.

It would be kinda nice to have access to the classification manager but really I dont see myself doing it all that much. I would rather be able to generate profiles from grasshopper before controlling the classification manager, again not all profiles are standard in my world and being able to send that though and not having to draw if first in Archicad would save time especially because this entire workflow is iterative....
Joe Putnam
Booster
Moonlight wrote:
@Joe

you're going in the wrong direction from what I have in mind.

I want to extract the values from GDL (values of Pt1X, Pt1Y, Pt1Z from ArchiCAD) that were already used in a model, and inject them to the desired property settings.
ah yeah got it. I have had no need for that sorry
Joe Putnam
Booster
Moonlight wrote:
Real case scenario, imagine having a parametric door, with different models, but only some of these models are complaint, would you like to fill all those properties again and again, or wouldn't you like to automate the process.
Well with what they have given us you can simply overwrite all values with the correct ones including the existing door.

Now I suppose what you are going to say to that is you dont want to manually do it so if that where the case personally i would export out a an excel file from an interactive schedule that you setup grabbing only the information you want and read that into grasshopper.
Nader Belal
Mentor
ah yeah got it. I have had no need for that sorry
You don't have say that you're sorry, you're being helpful.
As far as the classification manager and property groups go as I said those can be read in by importing an xml so its really simple to create those if you know how to write out XML.
Look, that would be practical if we are talking about few instances of an object, a mechanical copy & paste operation, but if you have huge bunch of them it becomes totally impractical & prone to error, just as you said
this entire workflow is iterative
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Nader Belal
Mentor
Now I suppose what you are going to say to that is you dont want to manually do it so if that where the case personally i would export out a an excel file from an interactive schedule that you setup grabbing only the information you want and read that into grasshopper.
Still, this can be practical in cases were we are dealing with few objects, too little or too unique to make an error.

I have even imagined doing your idea, but with GDL exporting values in an XML file, then use excel to map them accordingly but still, there is something there that doesn't convince me ... may be I will give it a try with your way
Joe Putnam
Booster
Moonlight wrote:

Still, this can be practical in cases were we are dealing with few objects, too little or too unique to make an error.

this is the current major issue I have with the way the Grasshopper plugin is designed. They need to hire someone that knows grasshopper not just Archicad. The fact that you have to right click to select the library part you want is totally against the design of grasshopper. If that where a string input say with the library part name then there would be no issue with dealing with different library parts.
The same argument goes for everything even layers. Just give me a component that provides a standard grasshopper list of all the layers and let me operate on it with grasshopper components to decide what goes where and why.
Nader Belal
Mentor
Update,

it appears that @leceta have pinpointed the right direction as seen in the snip