Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Easy GDL, Easy Picture

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please let me know how to use easy Picture to put a photograph on a large floor tile
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Clarify a bit if you could. Do you want to place a photo of a rug on the tile floor, to look like an area rug? Or?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to place the photo of a large bee on a floor tile about 4' x 4'. I use photoshop for images. I expect there is a way to use Easy Picture to center the photo on the picture frame and place it on the floor to be visible in render mode. Can you help with the proceedure. I have put photos on walls as picture maps in the past but did not have contro of the placement on the wall.
Karl Ottenstein
ma wrote:
I want to place the photo of a large bee on a floor tile about 4' x 4'. I use photoshop for images. I expect there is a way to use Easy Picture to center the photo on the picture frame and place it on the floor to be visible in render mode. Can you help with the proceedure. I have put photos on walls as picture maps in the past but did not have contro of the placement on the wall.
I don't know what Easy Picture is, but it sounds like (a) you just want a material definition for your floor tile - if you are placing just a few of these tiles in a non-repeating pattern. If you are placing the picture of the bee on your tile in (b) a repeating pattern, then you want a material definition for the floor surface itself - which happens to end up looking like tiles.

If you want (c) the picture of the bee to be alpha masked to appear on top of your tile regardless of what material/color the tile itself is ... then there's another answer.

For (a), just edit your image of the bee centered over your square tile material with grout around it if required. The number of pixels doesn't matter other than this: you should use as many pixels as you might need in the rendering at the closest camera view at the largest pixel rendering setting. But for playing, use anything - you can fine tune later. In the Materials dialog box for your 4'x4' tile, reference this image and specify the size as 4'x4'.

For (b), define an image of the tile floor with tiles and grout and the bee image on the tiles where it should appear. The image should be the least number of tiles required to capture the repeat pattern. (If the repeat pattern is not consistent, then paint an image for the entire floor.) Use the Offset filter in Photoshop if you have that (or something similar) to make sure that this image tiles (repeats) perfectly in all directions. Back in your Materials settings in AC, bring in the image, multiple the number of 4x4 tiles (plus grout amount) to obtain the total size of the image in real world units and enter those dimensions.

For (c), you need to define a thin slab that will have invisible materials for the sides and bottom and the top material will be an alpha-masked image of the bee - same idea as above, except create an alpha mask around the bee then bring the image in to scale, and select alpha transparency. Overlay this thin 'tile' on top of the real tiles where desired. You can change the material of the real tiles and they will show through with the bee overlaid on top. This would probably look better if the bee itself wasn't fully opaque, so that it would blend better with the material below.

Finally, control placement by either physical placement of the tile (slab) or in the case of a repeating pattern by using the 8.0 commands to align the texture. If you model the entire floor as a repeating pattern, then this lets you visually drag the pattern to the orientation that you would like.

If you have Piranesi, then (c) becomes trivial, if not as editable ... just create a cutout for the bee and visually place it where you want and blend as desired.

Hope that helps,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
ma wrote:
You can also try ArchiTiles by Cigraph - any texture and any tile shape, and nicely solved interior elevations, quantity take offs ...

http://www.cigraph-store.com for demos.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen