BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

EcoDesigner STAR and VIP-Energy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

I’m working with master thesis where I test different programs for calculation of energy performance of building and compare results.
I’m trying to compare EcoDesigner STAR and VIP-Energy, but i get very different results of energy simulation for the same building.
As far as I understand, these programs are built on the same calculation engine: VIP-Core.

Does it mean that they supposed to give the same results of energy simulations if the same input data is used?

Another issue concerns the climate data file.
VIP-Energy and EcoDesigner STAR uses Strusoft Climate Server for downloading the climate data. I downloaded 5 climate files (from 2010 to 2006 year) form Strusoft Climate Server and none of them contained the values similar to those contained in the file, that is automatically downloaded in EcoDesigner Star for the same location.

What is the reason for these differences?

Thanks for help.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I cannot reflect on the first part of your post as I am not that familiar with EcoDesigner Star.
aleksey51 wrote:
Another issue concerns the climate data file.
VIP-Energy and EcoDesigner STAR uses Strusoft Climate Server for downloading the climate data. I downloaded 5 climate files (from 2010 to 2006 year) form Strusoft Climate Server and none of them contained the values similar to those contained in the file, that is automatically downloaded in EcoDesigner Star for the same location.

What is the reason for these differences?

Thanks for help.
This issue was raised recently in another post. Basically there are different types of weather data, analytical is the best (it mostly costs money). IBut I cannot tell whether ED* uses the same data as VIP-Energy.
Please see this post:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=228727#228727
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for help.

I think I found a bug in ED Star (at least in the joint work of Meteonorm 7.1.1 and ED Star) and I think that it would be interesting for the developers of the program to look at it.
I am using Meteonorm 7.1.1 to create weather file in different formats and use them in programs, which I study. When I import TMY files in any formats (csv, tm2) to ED Star I get strange values for Solar radiation. It differs from values of solar radiation in VIP-Energy (that is from the same weather file in other format). It seems to me that ED Star takes values from the third column of TMY3 file (ETR (W/m^2)) instead of values for Global horizontal radiation (from fifth column) which are used for example in VIP-Energy. And *.vipclimate file that is produced of ED Star for import to VIP-Energy contains incorrect values for Solar Radiation.
Could you please comment this, because correct weather files is very important for my work.

Weather file TMY3 contains a lot of data. My question is, what data is used by ED Star?
Is it only Temperature, Humidity, Wind speed, Wind direction and Solar Radiation or there are any other parameters?

Is it possible to take contact with the developers of ED Star to get answers to these questions?
Anonymous
Not applicable
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o8hzfzqciox48et/AABJIOPLYHu2drrItp4eyyO_a

Here are files obtained from Meteonorm, if someone is interesred.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Just to inform anyone else interested in this thread:
Based on information I received from Graphisoft they are looking into this issue.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!