Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

EcoDesigner for AC15 & PHPP

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm really impressed with the direct PHPP export option but I have a few silly questions about it too:

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to play with these yet?
1 - I was wondering if ED export is targeted with a particular version of the PHPP spreadsheet?
2 - Is there a way of using element ID's to identify the exported data in the PHPP sheet?
3 - What data is / isn't supposed to be extracted from AC to the PHPP sheets?
4 - When revising a design can you re-import the ED data on top of previously written data without losing additional project info or does that info have to be re-entered again in another "clean" spreadsheet?
5 - I assume TFA calculation is as per the PHPP method. I'm getting some strange results in a simple test project.
6 - How is floor area calculated: zone / slab area / internal wall face as area boundary?
7 - How exactly is building envelope determined? can it take into account a rain-screen / ventilated timber frame cavity? Is it the thermal envelope?

Sorry for some of the silly questions & thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Some answers from another forum I posted to:

From Scott Berry • Information also requested by a number of our ArchiCAD users and after some testing this week….

1 - I was wondering if ED export is targeted with a particular version of the PHPP spreadsheet?

Yes, it exports to the latest version of PHPP (2007).

2 - Is there a way of using element ID's to identify the exported data in the PHPP sheet?

This is not currently possible in data exported to PHPP.

3 - What data is / isn't supposed to be extracted from AC to the PHPP sheets?

The “Model Review” function of EcoDesigner shows which building elements will be included in the data transferred to PHPP. In this view, elements can be added to or removed from a structure category as required to prepare the building energy model for export.

4 - When revising a design can you re-import the ED data on top of previously written data without losing additional project info or does that info have to be re-entered again in another "clean" spreadsheet?

Yes, data can be reimported. “Export to PHPP” only rewrites the data provided by EcoDesigner so other information will not need to be re-entered.

5 - I assume TFA calculation is as per the PHPP method. I'm getting some strange results in a simple test project.

The automatic analysis of geometry in EcoDesigner, in some cases, may not produce the correct TFA, for example, in the case of a split level building. It is recommended to check the Model Review before export.

6 - How is floor area calculated: zone / slab area / internal wall face as area boundary?

The floor area is calculated from the bottom surface of the building volume, as shown in the Model Review.

7 - How exactly is building envelope determined? can it take into account a rain-screen / ventilated timber frame cavity? Is it the thermal envelope?

The building envelope is calculated using the building volume, which can be seen in Model review by turning on "Show volume". Ventilated composites can be created in AC, and EcoDesigner counts with the composites. For example, air gaps can be assigned in EcoDesigner’s Material Assignment panel to correspond to the air gaps in composite elements
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is really interesting, I cannot wait to test it myself.

I guess you'll always have to check what data ED exports before accepting the results.

What about data like window orientation (for passive gains), length of window perimeter and length of window spacer (thermal bridges): does ED export that kind of data?

Also length of ventilation pipes and such: does that get exported?