BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

Ecodesigner Assumptions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to determine the energy demand from heating and cooling a residential building only. (we don't want to include any other energy uses of the building in ecodesigner, we have already taken that into account on our own, just heating and cooling, just natural gas) I have a few questions relating to this.

1.) I have gone into the xml file for InternalUsages and created a new category where the hot water feature is at 0 so that energy consumption is neglected. Are there any other options that I should consider turning off?

2.) I'm wondering whether EcoDesigner is outputting heating and cooling demand or actual energy consumption for heating and cooling the building. If it is the latter, where can we see or mess with the assumptions for the HVAC system efficiency? Or is it just assuming 100% efficiency?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have I been blacklisted on here for voicing my annoyance at ArchiCAD's dimensioning and 2D drafting or does no one know the answer to this question?? I used to get answers right away...
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hail Cesar (couldn't resist) 🙂

There was a problem with many ac-talkers unable to post this week, fixed now. Even without this, perhaps no one knew the answer. Please remember, we are all volunteers here, no one is required to answer. Did you ask your reseller or graphisoft techsupport?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I just got spoiled because Karl has been so prompt and helpful with answering my many questions. Just wanted to make sure I didn't break protocol to badly on here by comparing AutoCAD and ArchiCAD ...

This is an important question though... Ecodesigner must have assumptions for the efficiency of heating and cooling systems but I can't find where those assumptions are stated.
Erika Epstein
Booster
And here were those of us, including Karl, wondering what we had done to no longer be able to post/reply

I don't know the answer; I don't have ecodesigner. I am sure someone, perhaps the big K himself? will have an answer for you soon.

Have a good weekend, my sister in Ann Arbor just complained of the humidity.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
For what it's worth, the ArchiCAD-Wiki team have been adding material for EcoDesigner. There is a pdf on customizing EcoDesigner that might assist.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Learn and get certified!