Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

Ecodesigner, modeling requirements

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, this is my first post.

Ecodesigner is a great tool pro design energy efficient building, directly from the bim model created in archicad, instead of a re-draw everything in a different and less precise software... thing that would save me a lot of time.

I was wondering if the simulation software comfort to the requirements outlined in Section 11 and Appendix G in ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1–2004.

In specific, I would love Ecodesigner to run the Leed Protocol simulation of building loads and the analysis of energy consumptions.

Has anyone used Ecodesigner for Leed so far? Does enayone know whether or not Ecodesigner could be used for Leed?

Thank you.

Roberto
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Roberto:

There is some discussion of this issue here:
Archicad 16 and PHPP?

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you David,

I will add my signature immediately.

I've read the thread, but didn't find any specific answer.

Since vs 16 has been released I was wondering if the EcoDesigner tool has been successfully conformed to ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1.
Miklos Sved
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Roberto,

The next generation of EcoDesigner is called EcoDesigner*, and it will be compliant with ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1.-2007.

We're releasing a Public Beta of this software next week. Please sign up for this Beta Test in order to try EcoDesigner* and for further details!

Best Regards,

Miklos Sved

cibiosacte wrote:
Thank you David,

I will add my signature immediately.

I've read the thread, but didn't find any specific answer.

Since vs 16 has been released I was wondering if the EcoDesigner tool has been successfully conformed to ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1.
Miklos Sved
Graphisoft Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Miklos,

Will (or are there any plans for) ED* to support ASHRAE 90.1 (2010)? A lot of the Building Codes in North America and certainly Canada are now moving to the next version rather than 2007 as sustainability policy objectives are being tightened.

For example, locally, the City of Vancouver has now adopted 90.1 (2010) for their new 2012 municipal code and the Province of British Columbia is considering adoption of ASHRAE 90.1(2010) for the 2012 provincial building code.

Would be good to know that ED* is keeping up with current developments.

Have to say can't wait to try out the beta version though as it looks good. PHPP export is back and thermal bridge calculation included - great!

Kind Regards,

Adam
Anonymous
Not applicable
I realize that the EcoDesigner development team is concerned about its goal posts being moved further back during the game.

However, to make ArchiCAD's EcoDesigner Star a credible application - especially when taking building compliance officers and enforcers through an Ecodesigner model, those individuals must to know that what's being modeled is relevant and current.

These individuals often have little if any experience with BIM or 2D computer-aided drafting for that matter. They tend to have strong prejudices against anything that alters the usual Design-Bid-Build process and prescriptive compliance requirements with which they have been comfortable for 25+ years. Thus credibility and currency are vitally important for EcoDesigner Star to be a useful tool.

Right now, ED* a very powerful beast - make no mistake. But if the framework it is working within is already 6 years old and is already surpassed by new ASHRAE standards, then no matter how comprehensive EcoDesigner Star is, it won't have anywhere near the impact it ought to.

My 2 cents.