Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Edit 2d-symbol of created object

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I'm trying to create my own library object based on a morph cube. It's just a very simple object that should be a displayed as a cube in 3D and elevation but in plan I want it to show as a lamp symbol.

How do I edit the symbol visible in plan?
18 REPLIES 18
matjashka
Enthusiast
kruskakli, welcome to the forums.

Each object in ArchiCAD has two separate types of plan view -- one is a 2D script, and the other is a 2D symbol, which is used if 2D script is missing (in a simple case, but they can be used together).

To edit either of them, you first have to open your GDL object for editing (place it on your plan, select it and File > Libraries and Objects > Open Object.
In your case, you may delete the 2D script completely, then click the 2D Symbol button for editing and draw your symbol at correct size and orientation, using fills, lines and circles.

One thing to keep in mind: origin. Your 2D symbol position must match the position of the content generated by 3D script (by default, the lower left corner of bounding box).

If you need something more advanced, please ask.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks a lot! It worked perfectly!
matjashka
Enthusiast
You're welcome.
Once you get comfortable with creating objects, you may want to learn how to make them work better for you:

1) create and save your 3D parts in a way that the object's insertion point is located at 0,0,0 and then commenting out the ADD* commands that are automatically inserted by ArchiCAD (ADD commands move things in x,y,z)
2) add hotspots in 2D script and/or 2D symbol for more custom snap points than the bounding box
3) using the fragment2 command in 2D script to take advantage of the 16 layers that are built into each 2D symbol, so you can turn them on and off to get different looks from the same object.

The fun part of 2D symbols is that you can edit them just like you normally draft in ArchiCAD
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

thanks a lot for your help.

Could you help me to edit the 2D Symbol so that the symbol doesn't scale if I edit the element's dimensions?
matjashka
Enthusiast
Open the object for editing. Under Details, click the Compatibility Options button and make sure "Store fixed values" is checked and also "Fit size to 2D Symbol".

EDIT: Actually, I'd be careful with the "fit size" option if your 2D symbol is different than 3D. It's best to only use it if all you need is a 2D symbol. I'm not sure which one is your case. One useful thing I do is hiding A, B and ZZYZX for the object so that it's obvious that the size is not supposed to be changed.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA

Hello everyone! 

I am joining the existing topic regarding editing 2d objects. I use Archicad 23 and followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXvseqFBcH4 and changed the 2d Symbol as in the tutorial. I don't see the lines in 2D after saving the object though.

Does anyone know why?

Thank you for your help

There was a time when that used to work.

I think something has changed over time.

When you open your script and delete all of the 2D script, add the following command.

FRAGMENT2 1, 0

This will force it to show what is drawn in layer 1 of the 2D symbol.

There are actually 16 layers that you can draw in (just press CTRL+L when in the 2D symbol editor window and you will see the layer list).

With a little more GDL coding you cans actually create an object that can have up to 16 different 2D views - ideal for plants.

But then we start diving the depths of GDL coding.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thank you, that works!! 🙂 Do you maybe also know how to change it in 2D elevation/side view? Because when I change and I click on side 2D view, I see the same as in the floorplan 

Lingwisyer
Guru

You would need to draw your side view on another layer, then add a conditional statement to check what view you are in as to which layer gets shown by your fragment command. Though I am not sure how GLOB_VIEW_TYPE works with symbols placed directly in a view generated from 3D...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660