Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Editing 2D truss lines

dguadarr
Participant

Hi, I would like to know if there is a possible way to edit a truss showing 3 lines on a floor plan as 1 line only? 

In the first picture I attached, I'm showing how each truss has 3 lines, but it would be ideal to show only 1 line (any of the 3) for the roof framing plans. 

The second picture is just a close up. 

The third picture shows how I would ideally like to represent trusses with only 1 line. The ones circled in red are the truss I'd like to edit and the black circle are the regular joist centerline option from the line tool.

I could simply draw one single line and hide the truss in order to represent the joist centerline, but if the truss could be edited the way I mentioned above, that would be better to avoid having additional regular lines. 

1.png2.png3.png
15 REPLIES 15
Solution

??   Yes it does.  You probably just got bored watching the video 🙂  before you saw how a line that you can add to the truss object can be toggled on and off.  ?   You can put a line for that anywhere you want - I showed one for use as a centerline.  If for some reason you want that line on edge of the truss, you can put some lines on each side, or even both sides if you want.  And of course, you can add lines for any purpose you like, to ANY truss object in this same way.   If you are modeling an entire set of the truss profiles provided by the manufacture, they way I have shown how to do that +/- is a pretty common way of doing it.  I have not seen a better way to do it that.  If your are modeling your own truss profiles, you can still add what ever lines you want to your objects, where ever you want them to be.   

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Thank you, Steve. This was very helpful. 

I gave it another try and I was able to create a truss object using the slab and magic wand tool. Your video was direct on what steps to take, so my final results were the same you've shown on the video. 

Creating a truss using the slab and magic wand gives me the opportunity to customize the object -unlike the truss object tool provided on Archicad which allows an easy height & width edit- I'd have to draw lines from the beginning at the height & width I want the truss to look like (2x4,2x6,2x8). 

Something I did in order to hide the extra lines and show the truss as 1 middle line, was to use the same fill from the steps on your video and extended them all four ways (up, down, left and right) to cover the lines I didn't want to show in floor plan (see screenshot), then I simply selected the fill and assigned a "no line" background to it. 

This was a good way to create a truss. So thank you again for your help!!

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 9.39.41 AM.png

Complex Profiles is the next step for me. 

Thanks!

It will not help achieve the centerline since it is extruding in the direction of the centerline; however, it might be the easiest and/or quickest for a complex truss design. I previously saved slabs as objects, but I felt this was a faster method and made editing them a lot quicker.

Thanks,
Red
i7 8700k
ROG Strix Z390-E MoBo
64gb RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 2080

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25