Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Editing fills

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a project that is shared as a teamwork project.

Now I want to delete some redundant fills. I can't delete any filltypes in the attribute manager regardless if I log in as admin, teamleader or teammember. What should I do?
7 REPLIES 7
__archiben
Booster
laurens

i don't think 'admin' will be able to do it anyway.

you should, however, be able to do it signed in as a teamleader with exclusive access.

you ought to be able to delete fills from both the attribute manager and Tools->Fill Types...

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
You have to log in as Team Leader with exclusive access to change fills. There are some types of fills that AC8 will not let you delete. If you want to get rid of them you have to save backward to AC7 and delete them there.

Administrator log in is only for user settings and passwords (and occaisional forced sign outs).
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I'm building a new template. I want to pare down the fills. ArchiCAD refuses to delete 21 of the ones I want to dump. I've read here that I could use AC7 to do the dirty work but I get the same results there—refusal message in the Fills dialog box, grayed out in Attributes Manager. Ugh!

Anyone know any other way to banish these stubborn buggers from my realm?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Djordje
Ace
Geoff wrote:
I'm building a new template. I want to pare down the fills. ArchiCAD refuses to delete 21 of the ones I want to dump. I've read here that I could use AC7 to do the dirty work but I get the same results there—refusal message in the Fills dialog box, grayed out in Attributes Manager. Ugh!

Anyone know any other way to banish these stubborn buggers from my realm?
There has been a discussion on this; I will merge this thread there.

Short? No. Some of the fills are hard coded.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I found a solution to my problem. It's shrouded in mystery, but appears to work. Use at your own risk.

I started using AC about one year ago. It occurred to me that during my initial self-training (modeling my own house) there was no problem with these stubborn fills. So I went back and found two early projects that are free of the rogue 21. It appears that it's not the version of AC that determines whether these fills live or die but rather the file itself. I'm guessing these projects were started using an r1 or r2 template file and perhaps that's the difference.

Anyway, attached is a .pln with only four fills. Three hard coded stalwarts, Solid Fill, Empty Fill, Marker Fill, and one additional empty fill named "blank fill" that can be copied and/or renamed. blank fill cannot be deleted via Attribute Manager (you can't delete #1), but you can delete it in the fill types dialog box.

I'm using this file as the base for a new template and am in the process of importing all my other stuff with Attribute Manager. It seems to be working well. Please note that all this has been done on my lone Mac. Your mileage may vary.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
After a little more poking around I discovered that both the Orchard Project and Residential House sample files, including the new .pla's on my AC 8.1 disk, are of the lean and mean variety. In both cases all but two of the fills can be deleted–Solid Fill and Empty Fill.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanx for the tip Geoff, I'll look into it shortly