BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Editing mesh ridges?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Goooood morning.

I've got a question that has stumped myself and my work colleagues.

We're trying to edit a mesh, which seems simple enough, but we cannot think of a way to edit the way the ridges have connected to other nodes around it. The generated ridge lines that have been made when I added height information are critical to the way the ground lies. Is there anyway of editing this?

I've attached a screen shot (but not sure if it'll be much help). The red lines show how we need the ridge lines to be connected.
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Screen shot did not attach.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Image below:
Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 10.22.42.jpg
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Keito64:

ArchiCAD determines the triangulation of the Mesh. You have two options:
1. Add extra points to force a different triangulation.
2. Delete the points you have and draw ridge lines that connect the points as you desire: with the Mesh selected, select the Polygonal Geometry Method and draw the ridges.

From your screen shot it looks like you are trying to cut out the Mesh to create steps, SEO could be an easier way to do this.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice. You're right, it is for some very rough gabions that step down in an embankment.

Drawing in the individual ridges seems like the most direct route. I came across a couple of other sections while building the terrain that were solved by this method.

Thank you for the advice. It's interesting that ArchiCAD takes control over the ridge lines/contours, it would be nice to see a SketchUp style option on the right click for 'flip edge', but better planning seems to be the way of ArchiCAD.
Learn and get certified!