Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Editing multiple instances of a trussmaker truss

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've made a truss in truss maker that is repeated several times in the model. If I go to make changes to the truss (from timber to steel construction for example) how can I make it so it applies to all instances of the truss rather than only the selected instance
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
If you have the original line work for your truss then just alter it and go through the process of creating the truss again and save it with the same name.
You will be prompted that the truss already exists and do you want to replace it.

If you don't have the original line work you can re-create it by creating an elevation showing the truss.
Then select it in the elevation and go to the truss maker add-on again (Design > Design Extras > Truss Maker and choose to Edit the truss.
This will create new line work that you can alter as desired.
Select those lines and save as a truss again.
This should automatically replace the original truss.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried this and it worked to a certain degree. In the 3D view, the trusses have all updated, however in section, only the one truss that I selected to edit is showing with the different structure. All other instances are still showing the old construction in section. I've tried rebuilding the view, and cannot get the others to display properly.
Barry Kelly
You need 'Rebuild & Regenerate' rather than just 'Rebuild'.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah ok, that worked as far as changing the construction method. However, if I go to change the dimensions of the actual members, it is not working. I've tried every kind of rebuilding or regenerating I can think of, but it isn't working still. I can change it from timber, to steel and back again, but seems no matter what i change in terms of dimensions of the members, nothing changes in the model
Barry Kelly
Odd - it is working for me.
'Edit truss' creates new line work.
Select those lines and 'create truss' brings up the dialogue.
Change the size of the members.
Then save with the same name replacing the original.
Rebuild & Regenerate and all placed trusses have new member sizes.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Kamelite
Enthusiast
"DSquad96" wrote:
I've made a truss in truss maker that is repeated several times in the model. If I go to make changes to the truss (from timber to steel construction for example) how can I make it so it applies to all instances of the truss rather than only the selected instance

A bit OT but still, among other software, 3D studio max has a function that lets you copy, say, a truss, but it is still linked to the original in such a way that if you edit the original, every instance of that object will change accordingly. Very much like the behaviour you are looking for. And here comes my point: could someone in the GS-team add this function to the wishlist for release 19 or 20 or whatever? I think this function would be very much appreciated 🙂

.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
Eduardo Rolon
Kamelite wrote:
DSquad96 wrote:
A bit OT but still, among other software, 3D studio max has a function that lets you copy, say, a truss, but it is still linked to the original in such a way that if you edit the original, every instance of that object will change accordingly. Very much like the behaviour you are looking for. And here comes my point: could someone in the GS-team add this function to the wishlist for release 19 or 20 or whatever? I think this function would be very much appreciated 🙂

.Thag
You can do this already using either by either creating objects or using modules. Different procedure but same result.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator