Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Error when creating curved 2D Symbol for Library Objects

Helm
Contributor

Hello everyone.

I am in the process of converting our files from Archicad  22 to Archicad 25. I am encountering a strange problem with the library objects and I have no idea how to solve this.

We work with very curvilinear furniture. We have to design the objects ourselves due to their complexity. Everything has been working fine with all libraries up to ArchiCAD22, but in the 25 all curved fills get turned into rectilinear segments. (see attached image)

The 3D is fine. It's the self drawn 2D symbol that is giving the error. I have tried to create extra points on the curved fills, but has not helped. This error does not seem to affect the curved lines.

Unfortunately I need to have these objects with fills and we work with colorful floor plans, so it will be extremely visible when placing this object over a colored slab. (see other attached image).

Help?

messed_curves.jpgmessed_curves_02.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Interesting - I have never encountered this before.

But then I rarely use automatically scripted objects.

If you say it worked OK in previous versions, something must have changed in the way automatically scripted objects are handled now in 25.

As it is automatically scripted, there is no 2D script and it uses the 2D lines/fills saved in the '2D Symbol' - as you already know.

The '2D symbol' looks perfectly fine in the object editor as you say.

The '2D View' in the object script editor is blank as there is nothing in the 2D script - this is normal.

When you place the object it will use the '2D Symbol' view as there is no 2D script - but this is where 25 must handle this differently now.

It seems to be using a low resolution for fill curves - I have no idea if this can be changed at all.

However no need to worry about that.

Just add this command to the 2D script.

FRAGMENT2 1, 0

This will force the '2D View' to use the same '2D Symbol' (fragment layer 1) with the same colours the lines and fills have been drawn with.

Oddly this seems to by-pass the resolution for the curves (or actually it uses the default value which is 36 segments).

Now save the object and it should look fine in plan.

So it seems if an object automatically uses the '2D Symbol', it now uses a low curve resolution.

But forcing the '2D script' to use the '2D Symbol' view, makes it use the default curve resolution which is higher.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

Are you able to upload one of the objects here?

You may need to place it in a ZIP file before you can attach it.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Helm
Contributor

Thank you so much for answering. I was fearing no one would see my cry for help.

I have attached one of the objects to this message.

Solution

Interesting - I have never encountered this before.

But then I rarely use automatically scripted objects.

If you say it worked OK in previous versions, something must have changed in the way automatically scripted objects are handled now in 25.

As it is automatically scripted, there is no 2D script and it uses the 2D lines/fills saved in the '2D Symbol' - as you already know.

The '2D symbol' looks perfectly fine in the object editor as you say.

The '2D View' in the object script editor is blank as there is nothing in the 2D script - this is normal.

When you place the object it will use the '2D Symbol' view as there is no 2D script - but this is where 25 must handle this differently now.

It seems to be using a low resolution for fill curves - I have no idea if this can be changed at all.

However no need to worry about that.

Just add this command to the 2D script.

FRAGMENT2 1, 0

This will force the '2D View' to use the same '2D Symbol' (fragment layer 1) with the same colours the lines and fills have been drawn with.

Oddly this seems to by-pass the resolution for the curves (or actually it uses the default value which is 36 segments).

Now save the object and it should look fine in plan.

So it seems if an object automatically uses the '2D Symbol', it now uses a low curve resolution.

But forcing the '2D script' to use the '2D Symbol' view, makes it use the default curve resolution which is higher.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Dear Barry, please accept my heart felt thanks... I've been pulling my hairs for weeks trying to find a solution for this. I've been postponing the change to Archicad 25 because of this problem, but we can finally make the jump. It worked!!!!

Thank you so much for your precious help.