BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Existing walls and new walls fills display

Anonymous
Not applicable
In a project for an addition to an existing building, where the new walls are composite. It's normal practice to show existing walls with a solid fill, and yet for the first stages of a project I don't need to show the composition for the new walls to "the powers that be", but I find it very useful, to test and check how everything fits together.

Is there a way/setting to be able to display the solid fill for the existing wall and yet still display the NEW walls as empty for printing purposes, until later on?

Of course a workaround would be to just do the new walls with empty fills at first, and just "syringe" change them later on, but is there another more "intelligent" way ?

TIA

Naftali
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could create the composite wall types for the new walls with all empty fills to start and then change them when it's time for CDs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I always create existing walls with empy fills since most of them are not part of the construction. New walls are poched with fills so that more information decribes them.
Anonymous
Not applicable
jhutchison wrote:
I always create existing walls with empy fills since most of them are not part of the construction. New walls are poched with fills so that more information decribes them.
Wish I could do that, but the local authorities wouldn't accept that !

Thanks anyways !

Naftali
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Naftali wrote:
jhutchison wrote:

Thanks anyways !

Naftali
Just curious...What is it that your local authorities find unacceptable about this?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
Naftali wrote:
jhutchison wrote:

Thanks anyways !

Naftali
Just curious...What is it that your local authorities find unacceptable about this?
European conventions, I suppose. For large size multi-story room additions, you got to admit that having the existing building in black makes the "white" additions "pop out" on the floor plans and sections.

Anyway, can I just turn this into a wishlist item:

Change display variable of construction fills of walls from a Global variable to an individual wall variable.

Naftali
Djordje
Ace
Naftali wrote:
Is there a way/setting to be able to display the solid fill for the existing wall and yet still display the NEW walls as empty for printing purposes, until later on?
You might have an "existing" and "New" view, with different display options, and then superimpose them in PlotMaker. When the preliminaries are over, then re-arrange.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Naftali wrote:
Dave wrote:
Naftali wrote:

Thanks anyways !

Naftali
European conventions, I suppose. For large size multi-story room additions, you got to admit that having the existing building in black makes the "white" additions "pop out" on the floor plans and sections.

Anyway, can I just turn this into a wishlist item:

Change display variable of construction fills of walls from a Global variable to an individual wall variable.

Naftali
Sorry, I wasn't clear--and also, sorry to everyone else for continuing the off-topic portion of this thread, but my interest is piqued--but what is it specifically that is unacceptable? Is there a convention for poche-ing walls that is mandated, and if so, what is it?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Learn and get certified!