Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Experiment : ArchiTerrain.gsm

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got a gdl terrain model (developed as an experiment for something else I'm working on) however I'm not quite sure what it would be useful for?

All the points are stretchy in both the x-y and the z directions, and the triangulation between the points is automatically worked out depending on the position of the grid.

Ok - I tried at 20x20 and it was s-l-o-w in 3d on my machine. This is at 10x10; should work OK on most boxes.

Ideas anyone??

TIA - Stuart
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
And this is the object...
Oleg
Expert
StuartJames wrote:
Ideas anyone??
No ideas.
I have similar old object with unknown application.
It was corrected a little bit for graphical hotspots.
It was just my experimenting with NURBS surfaces.

May be that help you to generate an idea.
Oleg
Expert
Modeler object + needed macro
Anonymous
Not applicable
nurbs look impressive
i want to use it to make random vegetal bush groups for terrains meshes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oleg

I think your nurbs mesh should be included in the basic shapes section of the ArchiCAD libraries, for all those tent awnings, canvas chairs and blobby furniture & hulls. It has the advantage over the mesh tool in that it can fold over itself (wrap under)

I have had a quick play, I have not used spline patches since AutoCAD 10! (1992) so I am struggling to remember how to join splines neatly, I vaguely remember that there was an option to make the spline close in either direction to form sausage and blob shapes. Is that easy to do?

Great work & many thanks
Oleg
Expert
Bill wrote:
so I am struggling to remember how to join splines neatly, I vaguely remember that there was an option to make the spline close in either direction to form sausage and blob shapes. Is that easy to do?
It was made quite a long time back. I have just added graphic hotspots. Now I have almost forgotten all spline math.

I have placed this experimental object basically to share with GDL developers. May be somebody will want to make something practical on the basis of it or use it like an idea.
IMHO nurbs curve is not convenient for editing as special points (knots) do not lay on the curve, I remember one good parametrical object for VectorWorks which used other spline and math. Special points laid on a curve and the others were recalculated depending on the chosen quality. It was definitely more convenient for editing and really practical.