Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Explode Into Current View, Turns Into Figure, No Vectors

ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
  • Place as External Drawing or Drag and Drop PDF
  • Explode Into Current View seems to make it from a "Drawing" object to a "Figure" object, without creating any vectors
  • Tried "not keeping the original elements after exploding"
  • Renovation Filters has show "new items" turned on
  • Also, tried exploding the Figure, but you get less options for pens and such

Any ideas?

AC 24, Mac

Thank you so much!

4 REPLIES 4
Rajesh Patil
Expert

If it's PDF then make sure it has been generated by any CAD software so vector base info has been saved in it. 

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB

Ohh! When you say that, it makes sense. Don't really have a way to know for sure if this file was made in a CAD program, it's a very complex site map from the surveyor so I assume it was done in CAD.

Pretty sure doesn't work like this in Illustrator, think Illustrator just finds the lines using processing power maybe. Remember doing this a decade ago in college, ha

I'm not seeing in the official Graphisoft documentation where it says that the file has to be made in CAD though, so I'm not 100% sure...

No, Illustrator doesn't just find the lines either.  If what you see in a PDF is vector, both ARCHICAD and Illustrator bring in vectors.  If, as seems the case with your PDF, the image is a bitmap, then it comes in as a bitmap.  Illustrator does have a feature that lets you trace the bitmap to generator vectors...but the accuracy depends on the pixel density of the embedded bitmap image in the PDF.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

Can we please update the official help guide from Graphisoft to include this vey important information. That is where I started and it seems like a very easy thing to note there, so I could have saved a lot of time knowing this was a factor. @GRAPHISOFT @Anonymous

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/25/INT/_AC25_Help/070_Documentation/070_Documentation-98.htm

Also, it seems like Karl deleted this post maybe, I got a very confusing email notification, without providing any reason except that it was a duplicate. There is another very similar post, but it talks about renovation layers hiding new items, not my issue.