BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.
SOLVED!

Extract GDL Parameter Values

Nader Belal
Mentor
Hi there,

How can I extract library object parameters' values in Grasshopper ?

If not possible, what C# / VBA / Python Script should I use in Grasshopper script component to have the ability to access their values ?
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Nader Belal
Mentor
@leceta

If I´m not wrong, you may access the values of those parameters without creating the custom properties, but following the steps that you have mentioned.

To tell you the truth, I don't know if the possibility exists but no body have insisted, or simply nobody have tried it out or not. In the past, I wouldn't have considered to ask this question since ArchiCAD API is C++ and is quiet closed/obscured (meaning that I would not have been able to manage or maintain it).

But this the live connection with GH, past consideration must be revised.

Right now, I need the way to access those values with what ever the means there is, my problem is that IT knowledge would not help me to by pass such difficult task.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
their is a hole book/pdf/something explaining the whole ArchiCAD-Grasshopper conexion thing from a to z, close to z it explains exactly this, how to acces library parts parameters that are not regularly available (meaning with the standard ArchiCAD library parts/objects/whatever) you have to manually make the parameter/s available for archicad. Its called something very obvious like "ArchiCAD-Grasshopper Conexion Guide Reference Dude. This book is what you have to check out if your interested in ArchiCAD-Grasshopper Conexion, which is awesome by the way" Yeah something very obvious like that, I found it somewhere online (meaning in that magical place called the internet) look for it and most of your questions concerning this will be answered, mainly: any parameter of a library part can be accessed (wow, that's surprising, two doubles in a word that short!) and I do recall it was quite a simple procedure not involving and actual GDL coding. just some right clicking in the parameter list. Also, just to clarify if you got this far, I am serious about everything I wrote, I just didn't feel serious right now writing about it. Good luck!
Nader Belal
Mentor
@7nacho

Hi,

1st, thank you for the reply.

2nd, I have already read the book from cover to cover, especially that part that you have pointed out.

3rd, what I was asking in my question (in case that I wasn't clear in my previous statement) is the way I can extract Object's Libraries parameters values to inject them in the Property settings component.

4th, I´m not aware if you have seen that you can set up the parameters values for library objects by ". . . Setting" Components as they have the ability to access the different object's parameters, but

You can not access those same parameters when using "Deconstruct . . . " components followed by "Extract . . . Settings" Components.

So, if you already know how to do it, I will be grateful for your effort.
leceta
Expert
AFAIK, this is not possible.

The nearest thing I have found is by creating custom Properties and relating those properties to object parameters (sadly, only Lenght, Surface and Rotation parameters available for Object Element types)

Once created the custom properties, those can be accessed from GH with Deconstruct Object + Extract Object Settings + Extract Property Settings (with this last one you need to specify which properties you want to be read by right-clicking over in the component)
Solution
Nader Belal
Mentor
@leceta

If I´m not wrong, you may access the values of those parameters without creating the custom properties, but following the steps that you have mentioned.

To tell you the truth, I don't know if the possibility exists but no body have insisted, or simply nobody have tried it out or not. In the past, I wouldn't have considered to ask this question since ArchiCAD API is C++ and is quiet closed/obscured (meaning that I would not have been able to manage or maintain it).

But this the live connection with GH, past consideration must be revised.

Right now, I need the way to access those values with what ever the means there is, my problem is that IT knowledge would not help me to by pass such difficult task.
Nader Belal
Mentor
Hi Guys,

I will close this thread and mark it as answered since I have found that the way I asked the question can give a false perception of what I seek.

Here is the new link to the same question but better expressed:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65991#p293367
Learn and get certified!