Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Extract global coordinates of the local coordinate system

David Kj_ller
Participant
Is there a way to extract the global coordinates of the local coordinate system in GDL.

Sometimes (after numerous ROT and ADD's) it would be nice to know to coordinates og the local coordinate system.
7 REPLIES 7
sinceV6
Advocate
David wrote:
Is there a way to extract the global coordinates of the local coordinate system in GDL.

Sometimes (after numerous ROT and ADD's) it would be nice to know to coordinates og the local coordinate system.
Hi.
To use in what way? Solution might depend on the actual need.

The 3D view of the object (in the GDL object editor enviroment) will show the current position after the ROTs and ADDs transformations (provided you have them active). For the 2D view, I don't think there's that option.

For either one, you could create a small subroutine that draws 2 or 3 lines (for 2D or 3D) to show axis' position and rotation. This has proven quite useful in the 3D script when viewing several points at once that will be used later (to check the positions created in a script).

So if you move the coordinate system and you don't see it, you can GOSUB your axis' subroutine and keep modifying the script until you get the position you want, then comment out the GOSUB.

Best regards.
David Kj_ller
Participant
Well, to be more precise.

I'm working on a automated drain pipe model in 3D.

I have a start point i 3D and an end point in 3D.

The drain pipe goes from the start point to the end point following certain rules.

I would like to check the difference between the end of the pipe and the end point (if any 🙂, and being able to extract the global coordinates of the local coordinate system would make that a lot easier 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
Certain time ago I made an object for this. Take a look if it is useful for You.
Sewage Pipe_INT16 - Instructions for use.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
For download:
Sewage Pipe_INT Download.jpg
David Kj_ller
Participant
Well, it's a entire drain pipe system i'm working on (a bit more complex 🙂, but thank you anyway.

I think the conclusion is that you can't get the global coordinates of the local coordinate sytem.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Have you tried Archicad's MEP?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
sinceV6
Advocate
David wrote:
Well, to be more precise.

I'm working on a automated drain pipe model in 3D.

I have a start point i 3D and an end point in 3D.

The drain pipe goes from the start point to the end point following certain rules.

I would like to check the difference between the end of the pipe and the end point (if any 🙂, and being able to extract the global coordinates of the local coordinate system would make that a lot easier 🙂....

...I think the conclusion is that you can't get the global coordinates of the local coordinate sytem.
Well... not exactly. It depends on how you are making the script work. Assuming that you control either the end point or the end of the pipe, you must be able to know or calculate each of the end positions. There is no "give me current axis position" command, but since you are moving the coordinate system to build your object, in essence, you always now the current position. Why don't you give the accumulated transformation values to a variable? It's a little difficult to provide more help without more information; and this is only if I'm understanding what you mean by being able to extract the global coordinates of the local coordinate system....

Best regards.