Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Extruded brick patten

Yvonne
Advocate
What's the best way to model extruded brick patterning? (in a way that will make adjusting it easier)

I've modelled hit and miss brick work as a complex profile before but when I needed to edit the wall I would have to edit the complex profile...
AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
1 REPLY 1
Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
Depending on how large a brick surface you want to create, the Curtain Wall tool can actually be a great option. Here's 2 ways to approach it:

OPTION 1: Create a curtain wall with no panels, and where the mullions are sized and aligned with grout joints. Overlap this curtain wall object over your wall and create an SEO (Solid Element Operation) where the curtain wall is subtracted from the wall, leaving recessed joints. If you want the joints to show a different surface than the wall finish you will have to create the curtain wall frame members using complex profiles. Keep the curtain wall object on a separate layer turned off in your final views. This option is pretty quick and adjustable. To shift the grout joints you just move the curtain wall object or modify its scheme since SEO's are live.

OPTION 2: Create a curtain wall where the frames are grout joints and the panels are bricks. This works fine for straight walls but is problematic if you have walls that are large, or have openings in them or have exposed corners. I don't believe the curtain wall tool would know how to wrap brick around a corner...
Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!