Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Eydropper w/o Changing Object Type

Dave Jochum
Advocate
When creating doors and windows, is there a way to shortcut the process? Example: You create a window from the standard library using, say, the W1 Casement. You get all the parameters set and place (takes a good 5 minutes if working from scratch). Next you want a multiple sash unit that will match the first window in every detail except that it has multiple sash. You choose the W Triple Sash 81 unit and have to start completely over setting all parameters. Is there a way I'm missing to streamline this process? This is all solved in Theometric, but I find the standard library doors and windows much easier to work with.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
Is there a way I'm missing to streamline this process?
It is called Favourites.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
When creating doors and windows, is there a way to shortcut the process?
If you want to "pick up" the setting for a specific existing window/door and then just modify the new window a bit before placing it in plan, you can always "ALT" click on an existing window/door to pick up it's settings and then move along with the refined settings on the new element.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Djordje & Susanne,

Please let me know if I'm missing something, but I don't see how either suggestion addresses the question. There is no real difference between using Favorites or the eyedropper. In either case one has to have the particular object configured prior to placing clones. Parameter settings cannot be shared between separate objects--not surprising if one object is a door and one is a stair--but here we're talking two windows. The problem is that the standard library treats every different window configuration as a separate object rather than one window object adjusted with its parameter settings (a la Theometric).
Dave Jochum
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
Djordje & Susanne,

Please let me know if I'm missing something, but I don't see how either suggestion addresses the question. There is no real difference between using Favorites or the eyedropper. In either case one has to have the particular object configured prior to placing clones. Parameter settings cannot be shared between separate objects--not surprising if one object is a door and one is a stair--but here we're talking two windows. The problem is that the standard library treats every different window configuration as a separate object rather than one window object adjusted with its parameter settings (a la Theometric).
You're absolutely right and you've answered your own question. Standard library treats the different windows differently because they are different library parts. While it can be time consuming in the beginning to setup Favorites, it is well worth it in the long run. It's not that bad though if you do it as you go; create a new window config, save it as a favorite. Four or five windows into the project, and you've probably got a good percentage of the total windows as favorites.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
symm wrote:
Standard library treats the different windows differently because they are different library parts. While it can be time consuming in the beginning to setup Favorites, it is well worth it in the long run. It's not that bad though if you do it as you go; create a new window config, save it as a favorite. Four or five windows into the project, and you've probably got a good percentage of the total windows as favorites.
Unfortunately, that's not necessarily the case. With large, new, high-end, custom homes, there can be 100 windows, and sure, there might be 60 windows that are of one type-say double-hung. However, single unit , two unit , and three-unit versions are all separate objects (5-unit versions are not even possible without placing multiple windows side-by-side), as are double-hungs with various transom configurations. Favorites in this case is a work-around. A far better solution (sorry to keep harping on this) is the method Theometric uses. Yeah...I know...so just use Theometric. I suppose I will. I would just like the standard library to get better so I have more options.
Dave Jochum
Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be nice...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have not ventured into using Favorites. I guess because I figured (once many favorites are saved) it was going to follow the same "hunt and peck" method in finding and selecting library objects.

I used this method:
I resaved some of the most used AC7 doors & windows with a new name (i.e. W1 Casement 70, becomes JAY W1 Casement 70). I set the parameters how I would like them and save again under this new name. These "new" objects are in our "Office Library.lib". In our office template file are standard walls with our Office Standards doors and windows placed in them. This like favorite takes some time to setup.

When a project begins the template file is opened and saved with the project name and any project specific library locations added. The windows and doors from the standard walls are ALT clicked to get propertied and placed in the project walls (also the doors and windows can be found in our office standards.lib, which is much smaller than the AC library and easier to navigate). The template standard walls start on ground story, but once project is close to done, I move the walls (Cut & paste) to a created story that is higher than any "true" story in the structure, say story 5. In the Image; Select Image Items dbx I set the Stories to Show in 3D "From -"whatever" to 4. This way Story 5 can contain "temporary" objects that are not to be in 3D.
This may be the same as using Favorites, but like many new features I am wary of the implementation.

With AC 8.1 and the "better" Library objects, I plan to "recreate" our office library using AC 8.1 doors and windows.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:
I have not ventured into using Favorites. I guess because I figured (once many favorites are saved) it was going to follow the same "hunt and peck" method in finding and selecting library objects.
I used to have the same reservations about favorites until the "Woodster" demonstrated at one of his users groups how to save favorites as sets. Now I have separate favorites sets for windows, doors, walls, etc..

But getting back to the concern at hand as I recall once upon a time you could select a window in plan open the settings and select a new window (object) and it would retain the parameters that you had selected when you placed the original. If you wanted to change all double-hungs in the plan to casements it was quick and easy. I still don't understand why they can't bring that feature back.