Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

File clean up. Finding unplaced views.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know a quick way to make a schedule/search for all views not placed on any layouts.

I have a big messy file to clean up!
12 REPLIES 12
Erika Epstein
Booster
Interesting question. I, as do many, typically have a number of what I call working views that are just what they sound like and aren't meant to be on layouts. This does raise the question of if in fact every view is meant to be placed. Unlike the Project Map, there aren't difference icons for Used/placed and unused/unplaced Views. Perhaps a poll for this?

I can't think of an easy way to do this. You could systematically go through your layout book checking each drawing for which view it is linked to and check off the views (screenshot of view map?) used as you go.

Hopefully someone has a shorter method.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
I was about to suggest a script that could do this, but ArchiCAD allows views with duplicate names, making a general solution challenging.

If the view names are always unique, the idea is to generate a list of views and a list of the views referenced by placed drawings, each using the Project Indexes schedules. Then, a script (Perl / shell / etc) could strip the placed view path information to obtain a list of view names corresponding to drawings, and finally a comparison program (such as diff) could determine which views were not placed. Ugh. There should be an easier way.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
You could create a list of all views and separately a list of all drawings (views placed on layout sheets) and compare.
I can't figure out how to get these two in the same schedule, but you could export each to excel and combine there.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the ideas. I have been trying to work backwards from the layouts to see what belongs and what does not. I will try printing a couple view/drawing lists and check them off as I go.

I had hoped there would be a single magic button that would highlight the unused views. Or even a search and destroy option to automatically find and delete unused views.
Barry Kelly
The Drawing Manager will give you a list of all the views used in the layouts but not those that aren't.
I guess you could use that as a checklist of those not to delete.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just happened upon this thread because I'd like to clean up a project.

Is there really not a quick way to purge unplaced views or at least to view a list of those that are/aren't placed on a layout?

In Revit you can view a schedule that gives you an overview of views on layouts, revisions etc. I'm hoping there's a similar tool/schedule in Archicad
I think Brice's thread needs become a wish.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
thompsonmp wrote:
I've just happened upon this thread because I'd like to clean up a project.

Is there really not a quick way to purge unplaced views or at least to view a list of those that are/aren't placed on a layout?

In Revit you can view a schedule that gives you an overview of views on layouts, revisions etc. I'm hoping there's a similar tool/schedule in Archicad
You can make a Project Index to Show which drawings are placed on which layouts. The drawings refer to the views. This way you can see which ones are being used.

Rather than deleting views/clones, which cannot be undone, you could make a folder, label it 'trash' and move all those views/clones you suspect are not being used. If you then close that folder, you will not see them as much.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erwin, I've just had a quick look and project index will give me a quick overview. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

I've put a question mark in the ID and created a separate folder for the views that o think are not on layouts.

It would be nice to be able to generate a list of views not on layouts but I'm guessing that's not possible?