Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

File clean up. Finding unplaced views.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know a quick way to make a schedule/search for all views not placed on any layouts.

I have a big messy file to clean up!
12 REPLIES 12
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi All,

I cannot promise anything at my level, but I like the idea and I have taken note of this post for internal review by our Product Managers.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi, guys! Is there any progress on the topic?
Rafael Sangareau
Contributor

Hello,

I had this issue brought up in the office yesterday for a project with 150 layouts and 730 saved views. I found a neat workaround for this inside Archicad. The principal is simple but there's a nice little trick in the end to make the detection quite easy. I apologize in advance if any tool, menu or selection name isn't quite right as I am using a Portuguese version of Archicad.

Do this in a test file or use a copy before definitive application, deleting views is irreversible! 😉

Create a new layout, it really doesn't matter what it's called, it's going to the bin anyway...

Before going any further make sure that, in the drawing placement tool, the screen preview option is set to "NO PREVIEW" you don't want to kill your machine calculating hundreds of drawings 😆

In the new layout just drag and drop the Project Name from the views panel (the top most element in the list). All the saved views are going to be placed in the layout, but don't worry, cancel the update as soon as it pops up and it takes just a minute to populate the layout with all the saved views as squares with NO PREVIEW in them.

Next open the drawing manager, organize the list by original view and all the drawings that don't have at least a second copy are not placed in a project layout (if there's only one copy it's the one you just placed in the cleanup layout) and that's it. If you see 2 consecutive drawings with bolded text one of them (depends if it's A to Z or Z to A) is a "singleton" drawing ready for review and extermination! (I really dislike unplaced views).

Now the trick that really makes the difference; If you're like me and want to make sure the drawing isn't needed you're going to open its original view to see what the drawing is all about; what's going to happen is all the bold text in the drawing manager window is going to be gone after checking the first view making it that much harder to identify the unplaced views, to avoid this I made all this process in teamwork, all the new views placed in the cleanup layout are solid green I looked for the 2 consecutive green icons instead of bolded text. 😉

After reviewing all the views, delete the cleanup layout and you're done.

If you really want to streamline the process, use the teamwork approach (make sure the cleanup layout and the views in it are "yours”); in the drawing manager window, as you review the drawings, select the duplicate drawings placed in the cleanup layout; when you finish the review just delete the selected files using the red “X” in the drawing manager window, this will leave the cleanup layout with only the “unplaced views” drawings in it; now you can just select each of the placed drawings (the squares with NO PREVIEW in them) right click and choose open original view; switch to the view panel and you’ll have the view that needs reviewing selected and ready to be deleted! This workaround is needed because the drawing manager lists the placed drawings in the layouts and not the saved views that generate them. In a small file you can probably just take note of the views to be reviewed, in the file I cleaned today, I ended up with 107 unplaced views, taking note and looking for them in a 730 view list would take an eternity, selecting and right clicking was much faster and also safer.

Hope this helps some of you. Cheers!

Mac Studio 2022; Apple M1 Max; 64Gb LPDDR5
macOS Monterey 12.6.7
AC 26
iMac 27 2014; 3,4GHz quad core i5; 24Gb 1600 MHz DDR3; 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
AC 25
Make your life Custom not Standard. GDLing since 2018.