Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

File_dependence / fonts / office standards / PLA exchange dilemma

Nader Belal
Mentor
Hi there,

I would like to ask, what would happen if I use File_dependence with specific font files in a Global GSM file library, and the project the uses that font was sent to another office that doesn't have that font ??
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I were in your situation, I would just make a text observation in the object User Interface, that this object needs "Font X".

If they have it in their OS: It will be all right. If not: They will buy it and install it.

Or perhaps I am again missing the point.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I remember correctly, it will use another local font. In my case it used Arial.
It surely won't show you an error message.
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Baza That is exactly what happened to me

What I´m asking is, if I used "file_dependence" to a specific font set, would those fonts get included in the PLA when being sent ??

And would they get used by the ARCHICAD on the other computer that opens this PLA, that initially don't have those fonts ?
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Barry Kelly
Moonlight wrote:
@Baza That is exactly what happened to me

What I´m asking is, if I used "file_dependence" to a specific font set, would those fonts get included in the PLA when being sent ??

And would they get used by the ARCHICAD on the other computer that opens this PLA, that initially don't have those fonts ?

Fonts need to be installed in the operating system.
So even if the file dependence did copy the font files they would still need to be installed on the other machine.

I am pretty sure file dependence just ensures the correct files (such as image files and macros) are included in the PLA.
These files need to be in your loaded library.
You wouldn’t normally have these files in your library.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Moonlight
Sorry for the misunderstanding on "file_dependence"... My GDL kungfu is getting rusty.
I didn't try it. But I agree with Barry... Even if the font file will be copied, it must be manual installed in the OS.
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Barry Kelly & @Braza

Thank you for your quick reply.

That leads me to ask the following:
1. Is there a way that I can implement to send those fonts (with the project's PLA) to any other PC, so that they get used and don't break the sender's office standards ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Moonlight,
One thing you need to consider is that fonts are generally copyright protected and require purchasing (even Arial which is a Microsoft font)
Scott
Nader Belal
Mentor
@sboydturner

Is there another method that I'm not able to see to solve that problem???
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I were in your situation, I would just make a text observation in the object User Interface, that this object needs "Font X".

If they have it in their OS: It will be all right. If not: They will buy it and install it.

Or perhaps I am again missing the point.
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Braza

Thank you, under the current limitations your answer is the best approach.

Although I have already implemented it yesterday, I was hoping that there was a way to sidestep this limitation, you know like embedding used fonts to the PDF's files when they're being exported not printed.