Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Finish Carpentry - Multi Axis Beams - Panel moulding/Cabinet frame profiles

JDR_SBDC
Booster

In creating custom cabinetry or other finish carpentry where you essentially are try to create panel moulding, trying to run beam profiles around the inside edges of the inset frame of the cabinet door leaf X/Y and Z axis - is there a good solution for this in ArchiCAD? Beams cannot run vertical and the beam/column connection is not very clean when using the same profile for the two types of elements

AC25 USA
Windows 11
16 GB RAM
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
kmitotk
Advocate

Use Morph. In 3D view, draw the moulding profile with morph line (geometry method : polygonal) where ever in the 3D space. Move that profile to the inside edge of the cabinet door. While the profile is being selected, click on the edge of the profile and select Tube from the pet pallet, and extrude along the cabinet inside edges. 

Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 26 & 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10

View solution in original post

Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

On a lower storey or off to one side of your plan you can create a door laying flat with beams / slabs etc. Then drag a copy to one side, convert it to a Morph. Union (merge) all the parts if that is an option to simplify rotating it to vertical and moving it into place. Note you may not want to merge all your materials! Doing it this way you can update the beam Complex Profile, then if you uses SEOs on the slab panel, the door will automatically adjust to the new profiles, at which point you can create a new Morph.

I hate to be suggesting this... but if you use the same door a lot you could save it as a Hotlink Module. Unfortunately we don't have instancing yet...

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Solution
kmitotk
Advocate

Use Morph. In 3D view, draw the moulding profile with morph line (geometry method : polygonal) where ever in the 3D space. Move that profile to the inside edge of the cabinet door. While the profile is being selected, click on the edge of the profile and select Tube from the pet pallet, and extrude along the cabinet inside edges. 

Kei Mito

Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

On a lower storey or off to one side of your plan you can create a door laying flat with beams / slabs etc. Then drag a copy to one side, convert it to a Morph. Union (merge) all the parts if that is an option to simplify rotating it to vertical and moving it into place. Note you may not want to merge all your materials! Doing it this way you can update the beam Complex Profile, then if you uses SEOs on the slab panel, the door will automatically adjust to the new profiles, at which point you can create a new Morph.

I hate to be suggesting this... but if you use the same door a lot you could save it as a Hotlink Module. Unfortunately we don't have instancing yet...

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Thanks! This seems to be a pretty effective solution... Some added GDL scripting could probably prevent the profiles (now morphs) from skewing when adjusting sizes? Essentially making them parametric... Either that or I will end up creating a new morph for each size of door

AC25 USA
Windows 11
16 GB RAM
DGSketcher
Legend

If it's a recurring object which suits parametric adjustment then GDL is the way forward. If they are common fixed size components, then a collection of saved doors may be simpler. The key questions are how many times do you do this and what are the variables. 

kmitotk
Advocate

If you're looking for a parametric solution there is actually yet another way to do it. You can use the curtain wall tool.

First, create a cabinet door stile/rail profile. In the curtain wall settings make the scheme grid 1 column x 1 row (set the size 5' each) , in the frame settings turn off the mullion and  transom frames and use only the boundary frame, choose profiled butt-glazed frame and use the stile/rail profile you created for the boundary frame. A bit of a learning curve to set up at first but once you get to make one it should be no big deal thereafter. 

Alternatively, you can use the same method to create a negative moulding profile to seo-subtract from the door panel. This method should probably work better for a more elaborate inset moulding shapes. 

The only limitation with the curtain wall method is that the curtain wall frame segment cannot be curved, so you cannot make an arch top inset moulding unfortunately. 

2023-02-11_22h33_07.png

Kei Mito

David O
Booster

Hi I use the column & beam tool to create trim objects all time, I have attached a very small Archicad file that has the profiles setup, you can just swap your profiles for mine and they will switch over to show your mouldings, its great for curved architraves etc

Beam & column trim profiles.jpg

We also use beams and columns.

You can set the end angles if needed for mitred joints. The trick is to rotate your complex profile in such a way that the 45° angle is cut in the proper direction.

The downside of morphs is that they aren't very easily modified afterwards, whereas you can quickly swap out complex profiles.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Hi 

Yes that is what I have done in the file that I attached, the image shows the beams & columns in different colours they have their profiles rotated, they are not joined so you can select them and add new profiles as required then stretch or move each part to suite your needs.

Yes morphs are quite rigid in that respect.

Regards

David