Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

First floor - ground floor

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the international (american?) version of ArchiCAD there is no ground floor (zero floor); counting begins with 1st floor, which is quite disturbing for me as a European. However, I must help someone out who is using this version, so my question is whether I can change this somewhere in the preferences... from american to european counting.

Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
No, but I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's just a number. The name is far more important IMHO.

Cheers,
Link.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Link wrote:
No, but I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's just a number. The name is far more important IMHO.
Of course.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Aussie John
Newcomer
Yeah I wouldnt be worried. What confuses me more is in Singapore the Ground floor is called the 1st Storey whereas in Australia/England the level above the ground is the first storey.
The Singapore way makes more sense. Is that how it is in the US?
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
__archiben
Booster
Aussie wrote:
What confuses me more is in Singapore the Ground floor is called the 1st Storey whereas in Australia/England the level above the ground is the first storey.
it is . . . but i say the aussie/pommie way makes more sense: the first floor is the first 'floor' above ground . . .

just a number . . .

~/ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Aussie John
Newcomer
~/archiben wrote:
Aussie wrote:
What confuses me more is in Singapore the Ground floor is called the 1st Storey whereas in Australia/England the level above the ground is the first storey.
it is . . . but i say the aussie/pommie way makes more sense: the first floor is the first 'floor' above ground . . .

just a number . . .

~/ben
two storey house - top floor is 1st - not a lot of sense there
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Aussie wrote:
Yeah I wouldnt be worried. What confuses me more is in Singapore the Ground floor is called the 1st Storey whereas in Australia/England the level above the ground is the first storey.
In the US ground floor = first floor.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
stefan
Expert
Why should that be hardcoded at all? It is a cultural difference, like so many other settings in the libraries. The software should be able to represent both.

Even MS Outlook allows you to define the first day of the week and the way weeks are numbered throughout the year, which are also culturally defined.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
__archiben
Booster
stefan wrote:
Why should that be hardcoded at all? It is a cultural difference, like so many other settings in the libraries. The software should be able to represent both.
absolutely. the template file should handle regional differences . . . and take all of that nasty localisation work away from graphisoft - freeing up their resources a bit. it would be far better to produce one application that taps into the operating system's languages rather than have to do it all themselves . . .

~/ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
stefan
Expert
~/archiben wrote:
stefan wrote:
absolutely. the template file should handle regional differences . . . and take all of that nasty localisation work away from graphisoft - freeing up their resources a bit. it would be far better to produce one application that taps into the operating system's languages rather than have to do it all themselves . . .

~/ben
Precisely. They currently have to provide several language versions, while so many Open Source applications successfully have a single application, with support for as many languages as there are volunteers to translate.

Everything that is bound to not be globally identical should not be hard-coded in the software, but configurable with external files (preferably easily locatable in the program's folders).

One version to rule them all?
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book