Design forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First floor - ground floor

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the international (american?) version of ArchiCAD there is no ground floor (zero floor); counting begins with 1st floor, which is quite disturbing for me as a European. However, I must help someone out who is using this version, so my question is whether I can change this somewhere in the preferences... from american to european counting.

Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
International (INT) version is supposed to be British (UK) version AFAIK. However I must admit I have not noticed this discrepancy...
::rk

Thomas Holm
Booster
Make a template with your story naming/numbering preference. Start each new project with it.
AC4.1-AC24SWE-25INT; OSX11.5; MP5,1+MBP16,1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, ok. But where do I change the story numbering for the template?

Thomas Holm
Booster
Design >Story settings. You change the name of the story to whatever you like. In this case, story #0 is PLAN 0 is the entrance = street level.
Bild 10.png
AC4.1-AC24SWE-25INT; OSX11.5; MP5,1+MBP16,1

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know but in the version I am using there is a -1, then a +1 +2 +3 and so on but no 0!!!! This is my problem. I would like to have a story numbered 0...

Thomas Holm
Booster
Weird. Never had that problem. Maybe someone deleted Story 0?
I would just try to insert a new story below +1 (or above -1) and see what happens. Then you could copy everything from the relevant story to the new one. Look out for height issues, though. First work on a copy of your file. Story manipulation isn't always undoable.
Maybe you should include AC version and platform in your signature? The moderator always pleads for that habit!
AC4.1-AC24SWE-25INT; OSX11.5; MP5,1+MBP16,1

__archiben
Newcomer
Thomas wrote:
Weird. Never had that problem. Maybe someone deleted Story 0?
the USA version has no storey 0 ("Story" 0 even) in its template. ask someone with the USA version to zip and send you the default template: see if that works. if not, it must be hard-coded into the actual localised version of the application. talk to your reseller . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup

Link
Expert
This is hard coded into the program and is one of the only differences between the US and INT versions apart from Attribute/Library issues, if not *the* only difference.

Either way, it shouldn't affect your work. When you take the project between the two versions, this viewpoint ID should change seamlessly.

Cheers,
Link.

Thomas Holm
Booster
Thanks, Ben and Link, for your help. I had no idea this version difference existed. However, I was under the impression that "immaterial" was using the INT version just like me (not US). If I thought otherwise, I'd probably keep shut. So you're saying there is no way to get a floor numbered zero in the US version?
AC4.1-AC24SWE-25INT; OSX11.5; MP5,1+MBP16,1

Link
Expert
No, but I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's just a number. The name is far more important IMHO.

Cheers,
Link.

Thomas Holm
Booster
Link wrote:
No, but I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's just a number. The name is far more important IMHO.
Of course.
AC4.1-AC24SWE-25INT; OSX11.5; MP5,1+MBP16,1

Aussie John
Newcomer
Yeah I wouldnt be worried. What confuses me more is in Singapore the Ground floor is called the 1st Storey whereas in Australia/England the level above the ground is the first storey.
The Singapore way makes more sense. Is that how it is in the US?
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]

__archiben
Newcomer
Aussie wrote:
What confuses me more is in Singapore the Ground floor is called the 1st Storey whereas in Australia/England the level above the ground is the first storey.
The Singapore way makes more sense. Is that how it is in the US?
it is . . . but i say the aussie/pommie way makes more sense: the first floor is the first 'floor' above ground . . .

just a number . . .

~/ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup

Aussie John
Newcomer
~/archiben wrote:
Aussie wrote:
What confuses me more is in Singapore the Ground floor is called the 1st Storey whereas in Australia/England the level above the ground is the first storey.
The Singapore way makes more sense. Is that how it is in the US?
it is . . . but i say the aussie/pommie way makes more sense: the first floor is the first 'floor' above ground . . .

just a number . . .

~/ben
two storey house - top floor is 1st - not a lot of sense there
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Aussie wrote:
Yeah I wouldnt be worried. What confuses me more is in Singapore the Ground floor is called the 1st Storey whereas in Australia/England the level above the ground is the first storey.
The Singapore way makes more sense. Is that how it is in the US?
In the US ground floor = first floor.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6

stefan
Booster
Why should that be hardcoded at all? It is a cultural difference, like so many other settings in the libraries. The software should be able to represent both.

Even MS Outlook allows you to define the first day of the week and the way weeks are numbered throughout the year, which are also culturally defined.
--- stefan boeykens --- architect-engineer-musician ---
ARCHICAD25/Revit2022/Rhino7/Unity2021/Solibri
MBP2019:i9Octo2.4GHz32GBVega20/BigSur+Win11
ARCHICAD-user since 1998

__archiben
Newcomer
stefan wrote:
Why should that be hardcoded at all? It is a cultural difference, like so many other settings in the libraries. The software should be able to represent both.
absolutely. the template file should handle regional differences . . . and take all of that nasty localisation work away from graphisoft - freeing up their resources a bit. it would be far better to produce one application that taps into the operating system's languages rather than have to do it all themselves . . .

~/ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup

stefan
Booster
~/archiben wrote:
stefan wrote:
Why should that be hardcoded at all? It is a cultural difference, like so many other settings in the libraries. The software should be able to represent both.
absolutely. the template file should handle regional differences . . . and take all of that nasty localisation work away from graphisoft - freeing up their resources a bit. it would be far better to produce one application that taps into the operating system's languages rather than have to do it all themselves . . .

~/ben
Precisely. They currently have to provide several language versions, while so many Open Source applications successfully have a single application, with support for as many languages as there are volunteers to translate.

Everything that is bound to not be globally identical should not be hard-coded in the software, but configurable with external files (preferably easily locatable in the program's folders).

One version to rule them all?
--- stefan boeykens --- architect-engineer-musician ---
ARCHICAD25/Revit2022/Rhino7/Unity2021/Solibri
MBP2019:i9Octo2.4GHz32GBVega20/BigSur+Win11
ARCHICAD-user since 1998

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!