BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Fixed width/height windows and doors

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know a way to fix parameters of a certain window object to prevent it from accidental modifying?
I wish to have a special library folder with a limited number of windows we use in a project to avoid having same ID windows with different parameters. That would make scheduling much easier.
17 REPLIES 17
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Which means that the calling object must have every parameter that any of the called Windows have so as to be able to achieve the desired result.

Also, you didn't address the User Interface question. How would you solve that? How much work that would be?

I mean, you are welcome to try but I don't think it will be an easy and simple task if you want to control all Windows in the default ARCHICAD library from one "master" Window object.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps i've missed something but why do i have to copy the interface of each window?
I simply call the window with some fixed arguments.
As soon i've finished my little lamp (coding lights is a pain) i will try to code what i'm unable to explain ok?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Well, you don't have to, but if you don't do it then this master Window will not have a User Interface script so the user experience will be much worse.
You will only have a huge parameter list and you will have to figure out which parameter does what and you will not have the help of icons and explanation graphics.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Isn't it possible to create a window/door object like the curtainwall object? This way you can create any windowtype you like. And interactively change the position of the horizontal and vertical elements as well as the fills (door/panel/glass/etc.).

Best,

Peter
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, this would be great. I hope someday we will have a "Door/Window Assembly" tool using which you can assemble any number of Doors and Windows into an assembly which works as a single unit, but with the ability to edit any of its sub-elements individually, just like in case of the Curtain Wall, Stair and Railing Tools.
alemanda
Advocate
More generally it would be great to have the assembly tool, working for groups of objects/element ...
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are using the standard archicad windows in the library they all call gs_general_window_macro that contains all the parameters in all the windows in the library...

if you use that as the base for all the parameters and then call the suitable W2, W1 etc. window then you get a universal library part.

i did this for a building company a few years ago, and they had 1 window library part with sliding, awning, double pane, single pane, basically everything. (they had over 500 windows to choose from, from their supplier)

there were 3 windows that the archicad tools could not produce, they were matrix windows with opening panes, and i just added some special condition code to draw opening sashes for those special conditions when that combination was chosen.

it can be done if you have a month to spare and know every window that you can choose from. once everything was in an excel spreadsheet it took less than a week to code the library part. getting all the correct frame sizes, changes in mullion widths(and slight changes to overall windows) for the chunkier frames, etc was the hard bit.

the tree below shows a map of calls from the standard archicad windows.

P.S.

if you call the window out of the master script, then you still have the standard archicad window user interface available for all the other settings.

you just have to remember to lock the fields that you don't want changed for that window.

remeber to call the window, not the macro i.e.
if a < 1.2 then
call "Window 18" parameters all
endif
if a > 1.2 and a < 2.4 then
call "Double Window 18" parameters all
endif
if a > 2.4 then
call "Triple Window 18" parameters all
endif

from AC 19 a sub library macro (GS Corner Window Functions) has Hideparameter all in the parameters script, so you will want to change that so it doesn't hide your parameters, or you will need to be able to add your drop downs into the GUI.

i.e. add the parameters you still want visable after the all command.

hideparameter all "My_Window_Style", "My_Window_Opeing_Type", "My_Window_Sizes"

both require a library hack.
AC 18 window.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!
I've been trying to implement this script into default AC 20 window, but the parameter doesn't show up in Window Selection Settings. The script test turns to be ok and the Width and Height are grayed out like in your case, but the drop-down menu is not visible. Do you know what may be the reason for that and or where can I find this drop-down menu?

Additionally, is it possible to force showing "All Parameters" in the drop-down menu from attached file?

Thanks
Learn and get certified!