Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Flat Roof Upstand Options

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi - newbie here.

Basically I have an upstand that is more or less the same construction as the flat roof - same finish and fabric, different steel structure, think of it as the roof turning up at the edges with the outer skin of the wall below finishing the outside.

Currently I'm modelling the upstand as a 'wall' but then how to link it neatly to he flat portion of the roof ? (albeit flat roof it actually undulates around the perimeter).

May in the end need to be a complex profile in which case again is there a simple way to link the upstand fabric to the flat roof fabric ?

Or is it better to somehow to model the upstand as 'roof' ?

In the attachment I've merged the roof and wall, but can't seem to work out how to 'trim' the outer edge of the roof and the bottom edge of the parapet upstand.

2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If it is basically a vertical Roof (something ARCHICAD doesn't allow you do create) then you should try to model it using the Shell Tool which is very similar to the Roof Tool (it can be a composite) except it can model vertical surfaces as well.
This playlist gives the full explanation of all features of the Shell Tool:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1CA38C58B1DCFE58
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
If it is basically a vertical Roof (something ARCHICAD doesn't allow you do create) then you should try to model it using the Shell Tool which is very similar to the Roof Tool (it can be a composite) except it can model vertical surfaces as well.
This playlist gives the full explanation of all features of the Shell Tool:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1CA38C58B1DCFE58
Thanks for this - will give it a go !
Tried doing it with adjacent walls - I think I need to focus on understanding junctions...