Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Floor Plan from 3D Model Trouble

toman311
Enthusiast
The model I made which creates appears to be successful, so now I am trying to fix up the floor plan from that is being made from this model to look like it should. This is where I am having trouble. It seems everything I do looks fine in a 3D model, but when I try and turn the model into a 2D floor plan, everything is just all messed up. I attached a screen shot of some problems that I am having. In this single screen shot, I am pointing out 3 errors! Two of the error (towards the bottom of the screen shot) are because of lines showing up in places they shouldn't be. The third error (at the top of the screen shot) won't allow the walls to join at the corner. I played with the Junction Order of the walls, but that doesn't seem to help. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

When I draw a wall intersecting another wall out in the model space away from the model, it joins properly, but the model walls won't allow the same joinery to take place even though they are the same walls as the walls drawn out in model space.

Its got to be something above or below it that is affecting these wall joins because when a drew a new wall in place of the wall that is wrong (with the idea of redrawing the walls), it still messed up, but when I moved those new walls off from where they don't join and just put them somewhere else in the drawing space (I moved them inside the room, so they were still under the roof), they cleaned up just like they should. It has got to be something above or below which is affecting this joinery. It's either the slab or something with the roof, or at least something in that general area.

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 12.43.31 PM.png
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It must be other Walls messing up those intersections.
Do you have Walls on hidden Layer? Make all Layers visible and you will see what is there. Could also be Walls on other Stories, the important thing is where their bodies are located in 3D.
You could use Layer Intersection Group Numbers. Assign a different number to hidden Layers and Walls with different Layer Intersection Group Numbers will not intersect. These Layer Intersection Group Numbers are also stored in Layer Combinations so you can have Layer Combinations in which they intersect (if needed) and Layer Combinations in which they don't.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
toman311:

In addition to Laszlo's advice, check to see if there are duplicate Walls in the same location (move a Wall and see if there is another Wall in the same location).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
toman311
Enthusiast
Finally! I figured out the problem. I have a complex profile soffit going around the perimeter of the building. The soffit was drawn as a wall, which was interfering with the buildings actual wall joinery. I changed the complex profile to a beam soffit and those walls now clean up nicely. I am still new to 3D modeling in ArchiCAD.
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Good job!
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
toman311 wrote:
I changed the complex profile to a beam soffit and those walls now clean up nicely. I am still new to 3D modeling in ArchiCAD.
Alternatively in the layer settings dialogue you can create a layer for, e.g., trim which has a different Layer priority number than your walls. This will keep them from intersecting and/or reacting. Another benefit of this approach is that your are not limited by choice of tool to apply your custom profile.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"