BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Floor finish, wall base level & door trouble

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this — I have a couple of example pictures here.

Say I have a 20mm thick floor finish slab modeled with top level at 0 relative to story (red slab in the 3d picture, "F" in the section). This slab continues "through" under my wall. For the sake of accuracy in modeling I'd like to have my wall base at -20mm relative to story, starting from the structural part (blue in the 3d picture, "S" in the section) under the finish, and cut the finish slab via building material priority. This I can set up pretty easily, but there's a problem with doors. On doorways I'd want the finish to continue through the opening.

My doors have their base level set at 0 relative to the story, so their base is at the same level as the floor finish top. I've added a 20mm tolerance under the door so that the wall under the door would be cut off.

In essence, I would like the "solid" parts of the wall to cut the finish slab, and the door part NOT to cut the finish slab. The finish slab should continue through "under" the door. Does anybody know if this is possible to do? I'd prefer not to use SEOs (if they would help), because managing them in a big(ish) project would probably get to be a hassle. It seems to me I can only choose between the wall not cutting the finish slab at all (through priority settings or layer intersection group settings) or the wall cutting the finish slab on it's entire length.

We're working with AC21 on this specific project. The 3d image shows the red finish slab cut in the doorway. The section is taken so that it shows the wall part cut and the wall cutting through the finish slab how I'd like it.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I went in this situation some time ago.
You could find some light here.
Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much, Braza! The thread you linked seems to be the solution. Actually I'm kind of embarrassed now, because on this example project (in which I tried&succeeded to get rid of the wall cut lines in plan view in the local library "multifunctional" door we'll use in the project) I used non-composite slabs, and in our actual project we have the finish as a composite and properly set as finish... So if I'd done this in the main project, this problem would've probably not even showed up... But at least I got to learn something new about Archicad.

I'm not at my workstation so I can't confirm if it works but I'll update when I get the chance to test this. (→ Tested this today and it's working.)

Expanding on this topic - is this behaviour documented somewhere? I mean it seems perfectly logical that doors would act like this when they're connected to floor finishes, but I don't remember seeing this discussed anywhere in the reference guide.

Edit: D'oh! The reference guide page is there in the thread, plain to see..
Anonymous
Not applicable
You are very welcome Samppa.
I am just giving back a little help from the loads I have received from this community.
Cheers,
Paulo
Learn and get certified!